cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo and Public Mobile. Why is there such a great difference in quality during roadtrips?

beirut
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So to begin: I never have problems with PublicMobile while I am in the big cities (Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg). Constant 4G and awesome speeds but once we do roadtrips with my GF it all goes kinda meh. 

Recently we were doing two short Roadtrips around MB and SK.

My gf is on Koodoo and uses Iphone 7+ and iphone 6+.  I have two S7e (one on PM, while the other one is on Fido).

During our rides only my S7e on PublicMobile chokes. We had a few strips of 50-130KM there I wouldn't have any kind of service. And that's as much as over an hour of driving without a service, which is kinda bad imo, especially considering the fact that all the other phones on different providers wouldn't have a single problem.
Also it doesn't make much sense. Cause both Koodo and PM are operated by Telus.

I am using default APN settings, could this be a problem and perhaps I need to switch something?

39 REPLIES 39

ssuther
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just posted a related reply to Dave concerning the network upgrades - Telus, along with all major carriers in Canada, have automatic WiFi Calling on the latest phones (iPhone and many others) in areas where signal strength is an issue (including basements and in more remote communities).  For example, Fido WiFi Calling works without charge worldwide at no extra cost, but Virgin is only free in Canada and charges extra for use outside Canada - so if a call comes in on your cell number, and you have no cell signal, you still get the call as long as you've got WiFi.  Public Mobile was apparently going to get WiFi Calling when Koodo was scheduled to get it earlier this year - but from what I see now, there appears to have been delays at Telus who took much longer than Bell and Rogers to finally deploy WiFi Calling on the iPhone and Android phones.  My guess is that this will solve many of Public Mobile's Canada roaming issues when WiFi Calling is debugged and released (hopefully soon).

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

This is an interesting topic that I would have never noticed, I am curious to see what will happen next

@WearySky wrote:
The only difference between Koodo and PM is the lack of extended coverage roaming. Manitoba unfortunately is the one place where this is particularly noticeable.

I noticed that when I looked at the coverage map.  As far back as 2013, Koodo did not have full coverage in Manitoba.  I know because I was using that service and happened to suffer major loss of service when travelling along the transcanada heading east out of Winnipeg.  About 45 minutes out of the city, everything went dark.  Now that Bell owns MTS, I wounder if the situation will change for Public Mobile.  It may be worthwhile posing the question to them.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
The only difference between Koodo and PM is the lack of extended coverage roaming. Manitoba unfortunately is the one place where this is particularly noticeable.

beirut

@theoc198 wrote:

In Manitoba Koodo will roam for free on MTS/Rogers while Public Mobile still does not have access to the MTS network. There are large areas of Manitoba for which Public Mobile can't roam and you won't get service. The only other areas for which Koodo will have service but Public Mobile won't is where only Rogers has service. 

It feels like this is a most likely the case. Lost connection around Russell, MB and it came back after I passed Neepawa, MB which is over 165km strech

Thanks it's good to know this info since I am planning on doing some long roadtrips this summer .

theoc198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In Manitoba Koodo will roam for free on MTS/Rogers while Public Mobile still does not have access to the MTS network. There are large areas of Manitoba for which Public Mobile can't roam and you won't get service. The only other areas for which Koodo will have service but Public Mobile won't is where only Rogers has service. 

Maybe because Koodo have reception there public mobile dont since it's all part of Telus Telus have the smoth reception then Koodo and then public mobile and chances are in that area they don't have any users and no one hasn't complain about losing signal but as you mentioned I think we have to take to next level so users in future won't suffer without a reception it's hard as you said no reception at all it's a road anything happen like flat tire or other sort of emergency and if you only have a public mobile service with no reception then you are stuck can't call or text anyone cuz of dead zone
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

beirut

@xCameron94x wrote:

it could just honestly be because of an service issue or less than likely a phone issue. Did you drive in country (farm areas). I've noticed that in some of these areas i've had no cell service. No cell towers/coverage is perfect, there will be a few dead zones here and there. Its bound to happen.

Well but how about my girlfriend meanwhile being able to stream music/skype video chat on her Koodo Iphone while I can't even place a call due to "no service"?

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

it could just honestly be because of an service issue or less than likely a phone issue. Did you drive in country (farm areas). I've noticed that in some of these areas i've had no cell service. No cell towers/coverage is perfect, there will be a few dead zones here and there. Its bound to happen.

Need Help? Let's chat.