cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just transferred my oneplus 5 from Freedom - here was my experience

alekscolic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I bought my Oneplus 5 the 20th, and received it the next day. It got me wondering why I bottlenecked my phone. I couldn't even make phone calls from my house sometimes. 

So on the 23rd I decided to buy a Public Mobile SIM. It came in the mail the 26th, so only 2 business days. 

I went through the activation process and ported my number.

In about an hour my Freedom SIM disconnected, so I had to reset my phone for the Public Mobile SIM to activate.. My phone number ported over that same second.

I was only getting 3g on public mobile, and the APN settings were correct. So I switched my network operator to Telus 4g, and now I'm getting 4G+. I also typed into my phone *#*#4634#*#* to force LTE and now it's always on 4G+.

Switch was pretty seemless, now I'm just waiting on the extra 6GB to be added.

20 REPLIES 20

Steve_Kits

OK, I'll be patient. 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Unsure if you got a reply yet, but give them 48 hours to straighten things out. But usually it's faster than that.

Steve_Kits

Hi everyone,

so I got my sim yesterday and I did the sim acitivation online around 7pm last night. I picked the plan, selected to have my number ported from Freedom. I put in the new sim and was able to receive text from PM about the autopay rewards, but I can't make any call or surf the net. there is a exclamation sign in network signal. I sent a private message to @Shazia_K this morning, but I haven't heard from her yet. How much longer do you think I will have to wait before my number get ported. My old sim has been disconnected already. Thank you.

Steve_Kits

Great! thank you for the confirmation.

100 percent. I know because I have used nexus 4 as a backup was getting full lte.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Steve_Kits

Hi neatooo, didn't think about that. Good call. The phone I am using is Nexus 4, according to wiki:
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)

So it should be OK with PM, right?

neatooo
Btw, I would make sure your current phone is compatbble with PM. Otherwise, your line will port over from FM but you cant use the PM line until you get your OP5

alekscolic
**UPDATE

The 6gb have been added!

alekscolic
Sorry, it is. I didn't see the update. You have until the 6th!

Steve_Kits

Thanks for the reply. I thought July 6 was the deadline for the promo? I just ordered the SIM online. 

alekscolic
You can activate your Sim card now and port the number from freedom and then just swap the sim card into the OP5 once it comes in. No need to register the phone.

You have to port the number before june 30th to take advantage of the promo though.

Steve_Kits

Hi everyone,

I ordered my oneplus 5 yesterday and the estimated delivery is July 17. I am with freedom right now. Can I join PM now and have my number ported to take advantage of the promo? Can I just swap the sim when the oneplus 5 arrives? Or do I have to register my new phone? Please advise. Thank you.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Smiley Frustrated Hmmm... this is no fun!

I'm used to Rogers customers porting over so I can share some "great" Rogers service memories with them..... I have nothing on FM!

Welcome to PM, I hope you find that that the MODs, Oracles, and us normal peeps do our best to help out.

neatooo
If you use Facebook, they have a lite mode app for low speed connections. Shouldn't/doesn't apply to us but see if you can get that, and it should help with data usage.

Not sure about youtube, it should automatically pick up your screen resolution and stream video that is appropriate. Please ensure you have the latest update for youtube.

jeffster1970

You'll get your 6GB.

I am really enjoying the "service", as in, cell service. Works everywhere at my work. Never before with FM.  Always fast. 

Only drawback, paying FM what I owed on the phone, plus 12GB every 90 days is a little tight. 

But I will manage. Less youtube at work if no wifi present. Less speed tests. It'll be good.

bbdata

Happy to see another positive experience. Welcome to the community.

neatooo

Welcome! The grass is indeed greener on this side!

alekscolic

You're right. It's preffered LTE 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@alekscolic, welcome to the service.  I am envious of your one plus 5.  When you said you forced LTE, do you mean you set the preferred network type to LTE only?  If you don't allow the phone to drop back to a 3G setting on phone calls, you are going to not be able to receive them.  Public Mobile does not have VoLTE.  It is best to select LTE preferred and let the phone connect to LTE where available. 

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Glad to hear porting all done for you. Extra 6gb will be added with in 72 hours. Nothing to worry about as long your porting is completed lots of users was having issue. Wait 72 hours if doesn't show up on self serve then send a msg to mod they will look after you.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.