cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is very slow speed normal when i first join PM?

Dtmwerksshshs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did a speedtest and it's 2.4 down .09 up........i've restarted phone and my old sim is not in either. I have 1 bar. It's been about an hour so far. Sometimes I just flat out have no data. I'm in richmond, bc (major city) where people said their coverage was fine. I saw one person say i need to wait 48 hours but other similar posts don't say the same thing. my previous plan was same 4g lte and new pm plan is 4g lte. iphone xs. this is actually unusable. i'm also at 1 bar consistently if that matters. my top right says lte so im not down to 3g either.

carrier is public mobile 58.0 so i think it's up to date...

do i bother contacting customer support?

10 REPLIES 10

Dtmwerksshshs

3g has 1.75 up and 0.03 down lol.

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Telus has good reception in most BC area

can you at least try changing the network to 3G, you should get reasonable speed like 15Mbps (not great, but better than what you get).  Just change it for experiment

Dtmwerksshshs

i drove about a block away and it was even worse. i need the data HERE though. this is absurd.

slusagm

it looks ok to me

but if you move away from your current spot, you get much better reception and better data speed?

Dtmwerksshshs

zoomed out map pm 2.JPG

rogers my old one was fine, below:seems similar....so i don't know why it would be way better
pm 3.JPG

Dtmwerksshshs

pm.JPGidk if that's good or bad. that's about where i am, assuming public mobile is using telus that's what i filtered for.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dtmwerksshshs , check out this tower map to see whether the low signal strength is justified.  Despite a mature network, there will always be areas that are not perfectly covered.  At home, I get between 1-2 bars and pretty slow data speeds because I live in a primarily low rise area of town where is not much options for increasing tower density.  

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=45.195843&lng=-77.833575&zoom=7&type=Roadm...

@Dtmwerksshshs wrote:

Did a speedtest and it's 2.4 down .09 up........i've restarted phone and my old sim is not in either. I have 1 bar. It's been about an hour so far. Sometimes I just flat out have no data. I'm in richmond, bc, where people said their coverage was fine. I saw one person say i need to wait 48 hours but other similar posts don't say the same thing.

The 48 hour amount of time before receiving full speeds advice is out of date.  The appropriate data speed is assigned to the account as soon as the plan is active.  When customers speak about speeds being good in a specific city, those are general statements. There will always been places where speeds and coverage will be better than other places.

Dtmwerksshshs

no my phone doesn't support 5g. i've moved around, issue is all around me within walking distance at least.

slusagm

not normal.

are you using 5G, change the network to 4G (or LTE) and it could be better

But if you are using 4G already, then try 5G Auto

and move around , maybe just slow at where you are

Need Help? Let's chat.