cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the the Samsung galaxy s5 compatible with Public Mobile?

King_ALPH64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been trying to find information on this on other websites to no avail. 

12 REPLIES 12

RedEyz

oi, @King_ALPH64 

Will my phone work is always a great option to check things out, along with the Check your phone option provided right here on PMs site. scroll down to the bottom and follow the instructions and see if it's not only compatible but if it's on any black list for being a stolen handset. 

you never know when you're buying something off of Kijiji or some other site of that nature.

newhere
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Lots of good advice here. Wanted to chime in that as a PM Samsung Galaxy s5 user, everything is going fine so far. I'm on a Canada-wide plan with texting (no other add-ons yet)

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
As per @chukdefatey request.

Here is a good article I found and it brings up all the important points to look for as I once purchased a fake Note 3 which I should have noticed but being in a hurry and having dealt with this guy before made me overlook my own due diligence.

Anyways the link here. http://www.blogtechtips.com/2014/12/02/spot-samsung-galaxy-s5-clone/

The one trick I always do now is the download mode.

Phone has to be powered off to start.

With some effort hit the vol down, sleep/wake button and the home button all at the same time and keep down until you get the caution download screen.

If real you should get the option for volume up/down and I think it's vol up and you should get a second screen with all the info in the top left hand with official status, model number of phone and in middle of screen the android droid.

If you get Chinese writing it is a FAKE!

Kindly give the phone back to seller and walk away.

This is not the only thing to look for but is the most conclusive IMHO.

Good luck and watch the link as I may have missed some stuff but always be on guard.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^That would be good public info, Do you mind just posting here for all of us to know?

DK
To to add to what @Cyber said if you want to know how to test for a fake as the clones are pretty good just PM me and I will tell you a little trick that rules out if it's a fake or real right away.

@King_ALPH64,

To add what DK said, if you purchase a Canadian model, you are sure to receive OTA firmware update for Android.

However, I verified and all versions of the S5 are compatible with the 3G frequencies from Telus but you cannot receive OTA firmware update for Android if the model is not Canadian.

Beware if your purchase an used. There is lot of fake S5 and S6 around 😞

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Cyber wrote:

@King_ALPH64,

Yes, the Galaxy S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and S6 are compatible with Public Mobile (who is owned by Telus).

You can purchase your S5 from Koodo or Telus (online) without having to unlock it because Public Mobile use Telus network.

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile frequency bands are :

3G UMTS/HSDPA (850MHz / 1900MHz)

4G LTE Band 4 = 2100MHz / 1700MHz

4G LTE-Advanced = 700MHz (not yet launched by Telus/Bell)

I find it amazing how these cell Phone Provider in this country has done a great job about bogus competition/Network.  99.99% of the People have no idea that there are only two National Networks in Canada yet there are so many Providers using it so the General Population like the OP have no idea who is who and they think they have so many national networks to choose from.

King_ALPH64

Thanks. 

DK
To add to what Cyber has said , if you buy a Canadian model S5 SMG900W8 you will be safe for Public.

@King_ALPH64,

Yes, the Galaxy S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and S6 are compatible with Public Mobile (who is owned by Telus).

You can purchase your S5 from Koodo or Telus (online) without having to unlock it because Public Mobile use Telus network.

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile frequency bands are :

3G UMTS/HSDPA (850MHz / 1900MHz)

4G LTE Band 4 = 2100MHz / 1700MHz

4G LTE-Advanced = 700MHz (not yet launched by Telus/Bell)

King_ALPH64

Oh no I plan to purchase it in the future I just want to know if the s5 works on PM's network before I spend my money. 

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@King_ALPH64,

Where did you purchase it ?

Need Help? Let's chat.