cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Tethering Data using the iPhone 12 free and allowed?

SahotaCC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys, so I am wondering if Tethering is allowed with PM? I want to tether data every so often to my laptop from my iPhone on the $40 + 2GB bonus data plan.

Thank You!

23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Third same answer to the same person. Is there a record to be had or something that I've not heard of?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SahotaCC wrote:

I meant to say like there is no additional $$ 10 cost for tethering on top of your price plan. My bad sorry for the confusion. But Thank You !

@SahotaCC 

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges...

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SahotaCC You do know Public Mobile is Telus?  So if you were getting great 3G speeds with Telus, it will be exactly same 3G speeds at Public Mobile

SahotaCC

I meant to say like there is no additional $$ 10 cost for tethering on top of your price plan. My bad sorry for the confusion. But Thank You !

SahotaCC

Thank You,

I just wasn’t sure if it’s free right but now I know!

That's one way of bumping up your numbers for the month. I'll have to try that new trick 🙂.   Not....

Maybe it'll get the OP to pick my solution.

lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

So now we're repeating our own answers that we've already given 6 days earlier. Sigh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @SahotaCC ,

Yes you can it’s called Personal Hotspot under settings. Make sure Bluetooth and

Wi-Fi  are both turned on

97F76EF2-7F7D-4918-A99F-55B425AE6D69.jpeg

shimdog
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, it's allowed. I'm not sure what you mean by free though because it will come out of your data in your plan.

SahotaCC

Sounds great man thank you!

@SahotaCC  PM allows hotspot or tethering data

3G speed in PM could go as much as 12Mbps

The one using the hotspot, please make sure it set the hotspot wifi as a metered network.  Hotspot can easily drain your data as the client in this hotspot only sees it as a "wifi" and will download like it is at home if you don't mark the network  as a "metered network"

SahotaCC

Thanks Buddy... That sounds good!

SahotaCC

Thanks Buddy. keep in touch Bud.

@SahotaCC 

Public mobile's 4G LTE data is throttled to 3mbps.

The optional 3G data can be up to 20mbps+ depending on network traffic but averages 12mbps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SahotaCC 

public mobile Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

if you face any issue with data 

Spoiler

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SahotaCC 

yes you can do it,

Mobile Hotspot (publicmobile.ca)

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

I think you'll find 3G just fine @SahotaCC .   It's actually 4G kinda 'throttled' down to a 3G.   

@SahotaCC wrote:

Amazing! Thank You Thank You !!!!

good to hear! Is the 3G also very slow? I mean when I was with Telus; the 3G was surprisingly  actually fast!

Try manually selecting 3G instead of LTE. That usually speeds things up a bit.

SahotaCC

Amazing! Thank You Thank You !!!!

good to hear! Is the 3G also very slow? I mean when I was with Telus; the 3G was surprisingly  actually fast!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yes, @SahotaCC , you can tether a device by creating a hotspot.

EDIT:  Bear in mind, while it's "free" to tether, it still consumes data from the source. (which i'm sure you know 😉 )

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SahotaCC wrote:

Hey guys, so I am wondering if Tethering is allowed with PM? I want to tether data every so often to my laptop from my iPhone on the $40 + 2GB bonus data plan.

Thank You!

You can using the "hotspot" feature on iPhone.

Need Help? Let's chat.