cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls errors

tomsychau
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am consistently encountering a problem where someone is calling me (incoming call) but when I pick up, it sounded as if I am the one that is making the call.

This has been happening for the past month already.

Does this only happen to me? Or is anyone encountering the same problem?????

11 REPLIES 11

@tomsychau You may not be aware how easy it is to spoof caller ID nowadays , and that spam robodiallers do it all the time. It sounds like you're experiencing the trend where they spoof the area code and prefix (first 6 numbers) of your own number, and then randomize the last 4. If you call it back, you may get someone completely different.

@tomsychau 

If you're able to get calls from people you need to hear from with no issues, you're good to go.  If anyone is telling you they're having troubles reaching you, only then would I bother investing more time into this.

If you don't know the number, why are you answering it?  When you answer calls from persons who may be associated with scammers, your number get's 'registered' as one which will get answered so you ought to be prepared to get more of them.

Ignore it - if the person calling you needs you bad enough, they'll leave you a voice message.

If you don't get a voice message, it probably wasn't worth your time.

@tomsychau wrote:

no.  These are numbers that I do not know but are local numbers.  I would google the number as well and it would show that someone is using the number for kijiji or some other platform to sell items or this and that.

@tomsychau ,

Something could be off with the SIM or the account (Moderators would need to look into this if it was the account), to rule out the phone can you try your SIM in another compatible Public Mobile phone and see if the same thing happens?

tomsychau

no.  These are numbers that I do not know but are local numbers.  I would google the number as well and it would show that someone is using the number for kijiji or some other platform to sell items or this and that.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tomsychau :So it's people you know that calling you and it doing it when you pick up? Like your friend cell phone calling you and it did this?

@tomsychau wrote:

When I pick up the call, it would start ringing.....sometimes it would go to a voice mail....other times, it's a dead number with the sound du du du du.......

@tomsychau 

From ANOTHER device, call your number.

Don't answer it - just wait and see if the call get's answered or if the voice mail the call gets transferred to is, in fact, your voicemail.

If the call goes to your own voicemail, and you're generally able to receive other calls from other people in your contact list, consider taking this advice as it's likely that you're getting called/targeted by scammers.

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  If the person calling you needs you bad enough, they will leave a voice message, if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

tomsychau

it it forwards to a collection center or some Nigerian prince I would definitely know it's a scam.  But when it goes to some regular people's voicemail, it seems completely odd.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tomsychau :It could be telemarketer or collection agency or scam call etc, some companies call you then when you pick up it is forwarded to their call centre it sounds like ringing then they'll pick up and try to scam you.

tomsychau

When I pick up the call, it would start ringing.....sometimes it would go to a voice mail....other times, it's a dead number with the sound du du du du.......

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@tomsychau wrote:

I am consistently encountering a problem where someone is calling me (incoming call) but when I pick up, it sounded as if I am the one that is making the call.

@tomsychau 

What makes you think it sounds like you are the one making the call?

Are you simply hearing silence - or when you speak, do you hear your own voice reverberating?

Can you describe your experience?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tomsychau wrote:

@tomsychau ,

That. Is. Weird. 

What do you mean by "it sounded as if I am the one that is making the call."

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings

If issues still persist I would contact the Moderators to re-provision your account or check into it.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Need Help? Let's chat.