cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Ported a Telus Landline to PM and now I have no PM Service!

Jernikfra
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just emailed a moderator about this.

I got a telus landline last week just so I could port the number to PM.

Annoyingly, PM has no numbers with prefixes for my town, so the only way I could get one was to go the temporary telus landline route.

I ported the number successfully last Saturday on PM and I could make calls and send and receive texts. I could not receive phone calls yet though.

This morning I got a text message that said:

"To successfully complete your number transfer request, please restart your phone..."

I restarted my phone as instructed.

Now it shows:

emergency calls only limited service.

I did what was requested, and this is the result?

I had no idea porting would be so complicated.

All I wanted was a local are code and prefix for my town.

I got that but it has been a week since my landline was activated and the port is obviously now screwed up.

Has anyone had this happen?

18 REPLIES 18

@gblackma wrote:

Great news @Jernikfra . So it was the sim cards not matching then. Welcome to PM. Stay safe.

@Jernikfra wrote:

I'm happy to say that my phone number is now working properly FINALLY!

Top marks to admin Lorena for solving it.

I initiated the port on Saturday via my online PM account.

It said successful and I could make calls and send and receive texts from the new number.

I still couldn't receive calls however.

This morning I got the porting confirmation text and it instructed me to restart my phone.

Once I did that, I no longer had service!

It said emergency calls only.

I created a ticket and Lorena replied and investigated right away.

She discovered that the port was successful but strangely my SIM was not activated.

My SIM had worked until this morning.

Strangely, porting the telus landline had somehow deactivated my active SIM.

Once she reactivated it I was in business.

So now I finally have PM service with a local area code and prefix for my town.

PM has 604 numbers, but only with long distance prefixes so annoyingly local people that called me got a message saying the call might be long distance even though it isn't.

The only way to get a 604 number and local prefix for my city was to get a telus landline and then immediately port the number to PM. It caused some headaches like this one, but I now have PM service with a 604 number and local prefix for my city!

That's not the case.  A sim card not matching would not cause a number to go out of service. Service wasn't provisioned properly, but it doesn't have anything to do with the a different sim card be assigned to the account. This type of situation has happened before. It's not a matter of a sim card being swapped out by another one, but rather with Public Mobile not assigning the service/making the number active on the network properly.

Jernikfra

Hopefully future porting incidents that end up with no service will see this thread and see that their SIM might have been deactivated like mine was. My SIM was obviously active before porting so why a successful port deactivated it is an unsolved mystery. Thanks for all the replies and advice on this bizarre problem but most of all thanks to admin Lorena for her incredibly fast solution.

Great news @Jernikfra . So it was the sim cards not matching then. Welcome to PM. Stay safe.

@Jernikfra wrote:

It said successful and I could make calls and send and receive texts from the new number.

This morning I got the porting confirmation text and it instructed me to restart my phone.

She discovered that the port was successful but strangely my SIM was not activated.

PM has 604 numbers, but only with long distance prefixes so annoyingly local people that called me got a message saying the call might be long distance even though it isn't.

The only way to get a 604 number and local prefix for my city was to get a telus landline and then immediately port the number to PM. It caused some headaches like this one, but I now have PM service with a 604 number and local prefix for my city!

Jernikfra

@Jernikfra you said your service was working up until you restarted your phone... I was asking for the make and model of the phone so I can give you instructions to reset your network settings

• disable "automatically select network" and try to select public mobile manually 
  • change your preferred network type to 3g

@gblackma wrote:

@Jernikfra log into your self service account, choose the change sim option and compare the last 4 digits to the sim card in your phone. The Sims should match. Thanks. Stay safe.

Any Public Mobile sim card could be assigned to the Public Mobile service, but that wouldn't cause someone calling the customer to hear a "number not in service" message.

@Jernikfra log into your self service account, choose the change sim option and compare the last 4 digits to the sim card in your phone. The Sims should match. Thanks. Stay safe.

20200723_093448.jpg

@Jernikfra wrote:

How exactly would my brand and model of phone cause my service to stop?

It can't do that. A problem with the device could prevent you from making calls or actually receiving them, but it can't make the other carrier think that the phone number isn't active.  The problem is on the Public Mobiel side of things.

Jernikfra

How exactly would my brand and model of phone cause my service to stop?

@Jernikfra your SIM may not have provisioned correctly.  Contact the moderators and ask them to fix it for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

@gpixel wrote:

@Jernikfra what's the make and model of the device?

Whichever model phone that Jernikfra has, that would not affect and could not cause the number to be reported as out of service when someone calls.

@Jernikfra what's the make and model of the device?

Jernikfra

When I call my number from gmail it says the number you are calling is not in service!

I could make calls and send/receive texts until last night. now nothing.

Simply amazing.

I read that if I don't restart my phone within 90 minutes of getting the number porting alert text, it will cancel it. Well what happens if it comes through in the night while my phone is off?

I got the alert text as soon as I woke up. So I restarted and as soon as I did that service stopped. So if the message comes through at 4 am and you don't reply before 5.30 it cancels?

Jernikfra

Removing SIM and restarting phone makes no difference.

Outrageous that I did everything properly yet now have no service.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jernikfra turn your phone off, take the SIM out, reinsert it and restart your phone. Stay safe. 

Moved:

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Moved separate discussion to own thread in appropriate forum.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jernikfra 

Create a moderator support ticket for help using this link https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/
Tell SIMon what is the issue (important) - "port Request" for fast response.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Jernikfra 

• toggle airplane mode on/off
  • turn off your phone and reseat the sim card
Need Help? Let's chat.