cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to port the same cell # for a new referral friend

AhKiew612
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I am trying to refer a friend who wants to change from Virgin mobile to Public Mobile. How does he indicate to Public Mobile he wants to keep the same cell # ? Virgin told him once he canceled his plan, he will receive a port out code within 3 to 5 business day, and he needs to send to Public Mobile in order to keep his same cell #. Should my friend buy the new SIM card from public mobile first and then send the port code via secure message to Public Mobile before he activates the card ? 

Thank you

BK    

5 REPLIES 5

@AhKiew612 wrote:

During the 4 hours of porting , can my friend still use his cell normally ie. wifi , call , text with his cell ?

Until porting is complete, service won't work completely as usual.  Most incoming calls and most incoming text messages will continue to go to the Virgin service.  However, incoiming text messages from other Telus customers will go to your Public Mobile service.  In some cases, some phone calls from other Telus customers will also go to your Public Mobile service.  The only way to ensure receipt of all incoming communications is to have the SIM cards from both carriers in working phone devices.

Chanah_again
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've not dealt with Virgin, but the longest it's ever taken me to port was about 30 minutes. It's odd that Virgin is saying 4 hours, but his number should still be good until it's ported. Then again, I've no idea how they work there.

AhKiew612

Hi

During the 4 hours of porting , can my friend still use his cell normally ie. wifi , call , text with his cell ?

Thanks again

AhKiew612

Thank you very much.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @AhKiew612 

Ask your friend not to cancel the Virgin plan.  He needs the Virgin account active to port out the number

first confirm the number can be ported here:
https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

once confirmed, then get a PM sim card from Telus or Koodo store.  Thendownload the PM app and start the activation.  At payment step, there is a box to enter the friend referral code

After payment step, your friend would need to choose to transfer the number.  He needs to provide the Virgin account number as well as the phone number

Then Virgin will send him a text and he needs to reply Yes within 90 mins.   Then the port will be completed in another 4 hours.   Once the port is done, his Virgin account will be closed

Need Help? Let's chat.