cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I return a lost phone?

alexrok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I found am iPhone 7 that shows "Public Mobile" as its network. Since charging it up there have been no incoming calls or messages, so the SIM card is probably already deactivated.

Is there any way to get this phone back to its owner?

17 REPLIES 17

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for doing the world a good deed!  No doubt the owner must have been happy and hope to hear more stories like this.  🙂

alexrok

This post got more attention than I expected! Here’s a full explanation of what happened:

1. Swapped sims and got the owner’s phone number.

2. Swiped up on lockscreen to view notifications.

3. Saw contact named “Bob” (not their name) had sent a recent text message.
4. Held the home button down for couple seconds to activate siri and said “call Bob”.

3. Bob recognized who the phone’s owner was, and put the owner in touch with me.

4. We met at a public outdoor location and the phone was returned!

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk : The OP has already said they put the SIM into their own phone and got the number and is now presumably making arrangements with the owner to return it.

Whatttttt??????

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : The OP has already said they put the SIM into their own phone and got the number and is now presumably making arrangements with the owner to return it.

Has the OP (finder) that now knows the phone number...actually phoned the number to see if it rings?

IF:

The owner has suspended the account will the phone number still show on the "found" SIM when inserted in another phone?

The owner has assigned a new SIM to  the account will the phone number still show on the "found" SIM when inserted in another phone?

If the OP calls the number they may be a remote chance that a message can be left and the owner knows how to retrieve with out the phone. 

Or if the OP can leave the SIM in a phone and answer calls would be good too...if the account has not been suspended. 

I do believe in my selection of used SIMS that a phone number may still be on the SIM when inserted into another phone. 

So @alexrok ....how about an update. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : Fair point about a pass code.

Later on for curiosity I'll see what a dead deactivated SIM contains.

@Anonymous wrote:

@LurganIeUk : Did you read the thread? This is a nice fellow human thread.

Yes I have. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@alexrok : If you can find the gear icon for Settings then the owner might show up top with maybe some contact info.

Or in Messages others that they text with...you could text.

Call or text from your phone.

Or try on it to see if it works.

An iPhone with out a passcode?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : Did you read the thread? This is a nice fellow human thread.

@alexrok wrote:

Thanks everyone. I ended up swapping sims with my own phone, and thus got the owner's phone number!

The phone will make it back to its owner after all 🙂

What good did that do.....you still have the lost phone and lost SIM??

SIM cards in iPhones do NOT hold contacts. 

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's good on you, @alexrok 

I like the idea of leaving it somewhere for the owner to pick up at their leisure.   Either a cop shop, or a Koodo or TELUS shop.

Surely they'd assist in regard to returning the device to it's rightful owner.

@alexrok wrote:

Thanks everyone. I ended up swapping sims with my own phone, and thus got the owner's phone number!

@alexrok thank you for letting us know.  You just made someone's day.  Bravo! 👏🏼

Aloha

RosieR

@alexrok wrote:

I found am iPhone 7 that shows "Public Mobile" as its network. Since charging it up there have been no incoming calls or messages, so the SIM card is probably already deactivated.

I would try making a call to a number in the contact list named in a way such as "home" or "mom".  If you or the other person don't feel comfortable meeting up, you can turn the phone into a local police station. They will hold it there for the owner to claim, but I would try to let the person know where you brought it in.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@alexrok wrote:

@alexrok I found this article 

What to Do (and Not Do) If You Find a Lost Smartphone

It is very helpful

RosieR

alexrok

edit: This post got more attention than I expected! Here’s a full explanation of what happened:

1. Swapped sims and got the owner’s phone number.

2. Swiped up on lockscreen to view notifications.

3. Saw contact named “Bob” (not their name) had sent a recent text message.
4. Held the home button down for couple seconds to activate siri and said “call Bob”.

3. Bob recognized who the phone’s owner was, and put the owner in touch with me.

4. We met at a public outdoor location and the phone was returned!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexrok : If you can find the gear icon for Settings then the owner might show up top with maybe some contact info.

Or in Messages others that they text with...you could text.

Call or text from your phone.

Or try on it to see if it works.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@alexrok wrote:

Hi @alexrok that is nice of you.  I suppose you can contact the moderator (Public Mobile employees).  They might be able to help you find the owner.

• Send a private message to the Moderators_Team here.  You have to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work. 

It may take from 1 hr to 2 days (faster response these days) to receive a reply from the moderators.  Keep an eye on the envelope icon on top right for a number to pop up. That would be the moderator’s reply.

Moderators are available:

• Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Please keep us posted

RosieR

REMINDER:  Please do not post any personal information in the forums.  These are public forums and there are quite a number of fraudsters lurking around ready to steal your personal info.

Need Help? Let's chat.