cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed on Getting Data to Work on iPhone 6s

wonghksr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having trouble activating my data on my iPhone 6S.  I recently switched to Public Mobile and ported the number successfully from Speakout.  I can send and receive both calls and texts just fine, however I cannot get data to work.  I upgraded my phone from iOS 10 to 11 hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not.  I've deleted the old APN profile and tried multiple profiles from unlockit.co.nz repeatedly but none of them have worked.  I've reset the network settings multiple times but this has also not worked.  The data works just fine on an iPhone 5, so I doubt the sim card is the problem.  I hesitate to do a factory reset as I am still on iTunes 12.6.3 and cannot backup my phone.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @wonghksr,

We've received your private message and will get back to you shortly!

Best,

Syed

wonghksr

Thanks, hxj140.  Tried both.  Didn't work.

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Tried resetting network settings?

Do you have another sim to put in the phone? Doesn't have to be active. Put it in the phone, restart, let it fully boot, update the network settings, power off, insert public sim, and power up phone.

Hopefully, either of these steps will resolve the issue.

wonghksr

Thanks.  I went through the threads you suggested and followed each suggestion and still cannot get my data to work.  3G is showing up on my phone but still no data.  The carrier's software versioin is 32.0.  I deleted the existing APN profile, reinstall it from unlockit.co.nz, and turned the phone off and on, but to no avail. As to potential porting problems, I have my text and talk working since porting, so I don't think it is a porting issue. 

This time when I rebooted my phone, I got this message: "Could not activate cellular data network.  You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" but my account shows that I have an add-on of 1 Gb, with only 2.3 Mb used.  So perhaps I should contact a moderator on this.

wonghksr

Thanks.  I tried this but my phone cannot access the APN and MMS configuration settings manually even though it is clearly an unlocked iPhone purchased directly online from Apple Store.  Right now I am using the downloaded APN settings from unlockit.co.nz website but cannot get data to work.

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You could also perform an iCloud backup if you have enough free space in your iCloud account.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hello @wonghksr,

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting so far. Just to confirm, you've already gained access to APN settings? See here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/No-Data-on-iPhone-6-iOS-10/m-p/152835...

And here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/td-p/161...

Note in the above thread, there are a number of possibilities that may help. Since you know that data is working with your SIM card and you've already tried APN profiles from unlockit, I suspect you need to update your carrier settings - thanks to @Luddite for this solution in the other thread: Go to Settings > General > About and check for an update to carrier settings. If that does not work, then delete your APN profile and try the update again.

Hopefully, some other iPhone users will chime in with some thoughts (I'm an Android guy most of the time) - keep us posted with your progress.

Need Help? Let's chat.