cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 4G data but phone does not seem to support 4G, plan change request

Fafa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated an account which includes 4G data in the plan (90 days).  However, the phone only connects to 3G.  I tried putting in the APN information but no change, stayed at 3G.  After some searching on the Internet, it looks like the phone does not support 4G on Public Mobile.  The model is LG-D858HK.  As 3G seems to be the maximum, would it be possible to change the plan to 3G data instead of 4G and gain the bonus equivalent amount of 3G data (for the same amount paid, would have gotten 12 + 6 GB of 3G data instead of 9 GB of 4G data) for no extra charge?

11 REPLIES 11

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Around 20Mbps on 3g is not uncommon, but you will need the so-called LTE plans to get that type of speed.

@computergeek541 this will probably eventually be true.  However, currently, there is a bit of a loophole.  On a "3G" data plan, if you set your phone to 3G only, or 2G/3G Auto (of course 2G is not an option with PM but some phones don't offer only 3G), you can actually get the full HSPA+ speeds rather than the capped 2.5 speeds.

Clearly, it's not supposed to be like that.  Someone forgot to apply the 2.5Mbps speeds to the HSPA network.  I'm rather suprised that hasn't been corrected.  But then again, to my knowledge, Public Mobile is still forgetting to charge new customers sales tax.  The loophole is something that Public Mobile is surely going to close.  Ironically, true HSPA+ speeds at the 3g prices is something that I believe that most customers would be happy with.  I for one would not pay any extra for full LTE over the speeds of full HSPA+.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mr-Bump I don't know of any advantage of 2.5Mbps-throttled LTE vs. unthrottled HSPA.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mr-Bump
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Any reason to not do this? Like, is there an advantage to using a throttled 4G vs regular 3G?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

Around 20Mbps on 3g is not uncommon, but you will need the so-called LTE plans to get that type of speed.

@computergeek541 this will probably eventually be true.  However, currently, there is a bit of a loophole.  On a "3G" data plan, if you set your phone to 3G only, or 2G/3G Auto (of course 2G is not an option with PM but some phones don't offer only 3G), you can actually get the full HSPA+ speeds rather than the capped 2.5 speeds.

For example, here's a speed test I just did now.  My "3G" plan SIM in in slot 2. If you look at my status bar, you'll see it's the active data SIM, and currently connected to the HSPA+ network (because I changed settings to "2G/3G (Automatic)").  You'll notice my speed is much, much higher than the throttled "3G" speeds experienced on a "3G" plan with 4G enabled!

Screenshot_20171006-150155.jpg

For comparision, I just switched it back to "2G/3G/4G (Automatic)" and re-ran the test.  Notice I'm now showing LTE+ ("4G+") on SIM2, and my speeds are the throttled speeds:

Screenshot_20171006-150659.jpg

It does not appear the cap is being applied over HSPA/HSPA+ currently.  We did raise this up to PM some time ago and they said it was a glitch that would get fixed.  However, to date, it's still in place.  I have no idea how long this workaround will still be available, but it is today. 😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The fact that your phone doesn't support 3g doesn't necessarily mean that you should switch to one of the 3g plans. 

I would say that since you initiially wanted the plan that includes full LTE speeds, you may want to consider just sticking with that.  The 3g network is much faster than the 2.5Mbps speed that Public Mobile provides on the 3g plans.  Around 20Mbps on 3g is not uncommon, but you will need the so-called LTE plans to get that type of speed.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That really sucks OP. 

Getting a new phone would honestly be your best option. 

There are some good deals on prepaid phones that you can unlock and use on PM.

Check out Redflagdeals.com

I bought a Moto E4 from the US for $40USD unlocked it for $2 on ebay and it's working awesome on PM so far. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This model of G3 is an overseas model where the LTE bands are totally different from North America.  Only 3G connectivity is possible. 

Fafa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for everybody's response.  Unfortunately, a new phone isn't really feasible.  I will contact a mod as suggested.

My suggestion, get a new device that accepts the 4G.

As previously mentioned both 3G speed, and 4G speed run on the same 4G network, with fallback to 3G Network.

Mr-Bump
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also worth noting, as this comes up a lot, the 3G plan still runs on a 4G connection; it is just throttled. 

Honestly not sure how that speed limitation would translate to a 3G connection though. Maybe someone more savvy could weigh in. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Fafa,  What I suggest is that you private message a moderator and ask if that is possible.  If it isn't you will need to go and do a plan change but FUTURE date the plan change to your next renewal. 

You will need to message a MOD for assistance, click on this link Moderator Team
to send a private message .
In your message please include:
* PM account email address
* SIM card number(if available)
* PM phone number
* Detailed explanation
Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.