Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom Mobile - $40 for 10gb for Public Mobile/Koodo/Telus Customers

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
155 REPLIES 155

@will13am wrote

The latest promo was offered for all of one day!  Talk about you snooze you lose.  I was just about to get some more referrals and now Public Mobile just pulled the rug on me.  I don't know what Freedom is trying to do with this 10 gig offer.  If you can't connect to the network properly, how is offering more data useful.  It is like being fed a second plate of food that you really despise.

Wow, that was so fast I had not even seen it! Just realized what you are talking about when I looked at the French community and saw the old announcement (which isn't pushed back and hidden from main page yet)...

jeffster1970

None of the iPhones have band 66. Apparently tho Shaw is going to make a couple more LTE bands that will be iPhone compatible. (Bands 7 and 13 I believe)

panesarg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an iPhone 6. Does it work with band 66. I'm looking to switch to freedom. This is an epic plan.

collin1215

Wait that's weird. I went into a Freedom Mobile store today to ask about the promotion and the guy was like, it's going to be lasting for a few days. Till the 19th or something he said. odd...

It is really sad to see both sides pull back the plug within 24hrs. They sound more like 2 high school teens that just keep talking trash about each other but afraid/not willing to so anything other then that.

damik_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I'm getting disappointed by PM, first no retention plans. Then new offer only for selected customers. Then offers with 3G speed like it's 2008...
Then those with interesting plan they try to ship them off at koodo so they pay more.
Then plans getting removed before they should.

This is basically anti-service, I'm just waiting for a good promo in Quebec and I'm off.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Monkey business Cat Happy

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I feel really bad for the people who planned on porting to PM but thought they had more time. I don't think I've ever seen a phone company pull a promotion so quickly without giving people enough notice. It looks like FM is doing the same thing but at least they are telling you when their promotion is ending.

PhoneSeeker

@jonathanlo83 wrote:
Hope to see PM can come up with an even better offer!

I think there's very little chance of any offer at this point. Freedom is pulling the plug on the offer tonight. No reason for PM to offer anything now.

jonathanlo83
Hope to see PM can come up with an even better offer!

Michael77

I think more competition means lower prices in Canada.

Raven_Jet
I looked at US plans online and they seem rather expensive. I know they are mostly unlimited plans now, but they add up to over $70 a month US. That's super expensive.

Michael77

I don't think there was a threat.  I don't think either one of them wants a price war.  So Shaw showed Telus what they can do just to prove a point. I think it's time for the US phone companies to provide service in Canada.   

shawnie_boy
I just don't understand how Telus convinced Freedom to cancel their counter deal. Public mobile was stealing freedom customers a couple months ago and freedom did nothing. What did Telus threaten Shaw with.

Michael77

It's not too late to switch. You might be able to get to the store before it closes. LOL

LeSong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Michael77 wrote:

I just confirmed.  The FM deal is only for today then it expires. Sounds like FM and PM have been talking.

That was a quick reaction from Telus to request a stop for this competition. from Freedom mobile.

I belive we won't see much of a competiction from now on from both of telus and Freedom.
However, Freedom ( One Day ) deal was too good to be true.

geologyking

@CalvinWWe kid ourselves that there is any real competition.  Telus, Rogers and Bell control the vast majority of the market through either their A, B or C brands.  FM cannot be thought of as a national player at this point and we've just seen what counts for "competition" in our mobile market--targeted promotions with lives so short that unless you have a cupboard of sim cards at your disposal, your s.o.l.

I guess the lesson here is we're still screwed for lack of competition and stock up on sim cards.

Michael77

I just don't like the fact that there is collusion.

CalvinW
Why should it be illegal? Competition is what drive prices down

shawnie_boy
Ya it was obvious Freedom was sick and tired of PM and all these people joining Freedom just to port out next day. Good job Freedom but honestly the collision between these companies is disgusting. It should be illegal. I hope the CRTC is carefully watching these situations.

punkajay

I totally agree!

In recent years, I barely use the phone service and only need like a few hundred. 

When you pick apart many of the plans out there, you're still paying roughly half of your monthly towards the voice component. 

This is why I tried going data only for 6 months and used Fongo.

Problem was those few times I had an important call, the service was crap, and here I am.

punkajay

I was a recent Port from FM-->PM with the $40 for 4GB/month offer.

I switched to FM for 2 days just to tranfer to PM.  I didn't like the service even for those couple days.  To think I was gonna switch there without trying..uggh.

I had to pay for the full 90 days in the 2GB/month plan.

After activating the SIM and paying for that, the bonus 2GB per month shows up a few days later, which is supposed to be the case for me moving forward after my renewal comes up.

Does that answer  your question?

Love this service btw.

J

CalvinW
Haha, PM tried to trade blows with Freedom, but PM clearly got knocked out. What an embarrassment, they only had the promo up for one day before taking it down

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Interesting had no idea about this trial FM prepaid SIM...anyone recall if previous FM-->PM port over promo was for both pay before/after accounts?  

too good to be true I guess

Michael77

I just confirmed.  The FM deal is only for today then it expires. Sounds like FM and PM have been talking.

denkom

Thanks @geologyking

I did that and seems I am only able to order a trial pre-paid FM sim. 

This is the message I get on their site:

Your phone is compatible.

If your phone is unlocked and you’re interested in trialling a new prepaid (Pay Before) account, order a free SIM card online below. 
For new postpaid (Pay After) accounts and/or existing customers, please visit your local Freedom Mobile store for more details.

jshmeek

Freedom Mobile just messaged me on Twitter. One day only, available until store close I guess.

geologyking

@denkomHad to enter my IMEI number and once it verified the phone would work on the FM network, I had the option to get a sim.

Choose BYOP from the dropdown on the front page and the IMEI areas is at the bottom.

paulie

@PhoneSeeker wrote:

Freedom's deal is supposed to end tonight. I would advise you to open a cheap Koodo plan, port into Freedom tonight. Then you can port your PM number to Freedom at a later date, or cancel Freedom and get prorated charges refunded (pay-after plan).

I actually have many PublicMobile Sims !   Muuahahaha... could activate one of those.  And... since I have an exisiting number at Freedom from way way back, I am eleigible for better together savings at $5/month !     

Need Help? Let's chat.