cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Found Lost Phone! How to Return? **

Looking4help
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone! I found a lost phone in my apartment building and took out the SIM card to see that the provider is Public Mobile. I put the SIM card into my own phone to find get the phone number but otherwise do not have any further information as the phone is locked. If anyone had any idea how I can find out who’s phone this is, please let me know! I have called to Public Mobile dealers and Telus/Koodo but no one is able to assist. Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20

They (kinda) can @esjliv 

But only in conjunction with locking device remotely and placing a message on the locked device screen.

It's a great feature if users didn't place contact info on their lock screen prior to losing. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@esjliv 

I was thinking of a possible situation i  which the customer immediately cuts off the Public Mobile service but then tries to impose the screen lock, not realizing that the order should have been done in reverse.  I see that isn't what happened here, but if that did happen,  and the owner then tried to activate the sceeen lock feature, that would only be completed once the devices gets connected again to the internet. At least on Android devices (and I suspect on iOS too), the owner can do this remotely (in the Google account for an Android phone).

@computergeek541 - I think i misunderstood your first post.

I thought you meant android users can change the Message Showing on the lock screen through their Google Account...that would cool.

@pankajjoshi wrote:

To Be Honest this attitude of Telus and its employees makes me think twice re their service.

It is kinda disheartening that a TELUS employee, in a TELUS branded store, would not agree to accept a lost device from one of it's flanker brands. (be it Koodo or Public Mobile)

I'm positive they would have the means to have one of their affiliate companies make contact with the righteous owner of a device through an e-mail or a recovery phone number the customer may have provided on the account.

All PM or Koodo would have to do is cross-reference the SIM card# to an account in their system ...  it seems pretty straight-forward, but perhaps it's an onerous process that might take a learned employee 5 minutes to do.  🙄🙄

pankajjoshi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

To Be Honest this attitude of Telus and its employees makes me think twice re their service.

@computergeek541 wrote:

At least on Android devices (and I suspect on iOS too), the owner can do this remotely (in the Google account for an Android phone).

Hi @computergeek541 -  great post for those who are unaware of this feature.

Yes @esjliv ,  it's done using https://android.com/find

Once there, the device owner/linked google account holder can go to Secure Device and effectively lock their device PLUS add an on-screen recovery message and phone number.   

It only locks the device and displays on the lost device screen once the lost device is connected via wi-fi or mobile data to a network.

Once it is, the person who set it will see this:

HALIMACS_0-1640956457573.png

@esjliv wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

However, smartphones can be set to display an on-screen message to anyone finding the device, but for that message to get updated, the device needs to be connected to the internet (if that device lock and message wasn't set up before disabling the Public Mobile service).

@computergeek541  - how can the lock screen be updated remotely (via internet)? I was not aware of this feature.

I was thinking of a possible situation i  which the customer immediately cuts off the Public Mobile service but then tries to impose the screen lock, not realizing that the order should have been done in reverse.  I see that isn't what happened here, but if that did happen,  and the owner then tried to activate the sceeen lock feature, that would only be completed once the devices gets connected again to the internet. At least on Android devices (and I suspect on iOS too), the owner can do this remotely (in the Google account for an Android phone).

@computergeek541 wrote:

However, smartphones can be set to display an on-screen message to anyone finding the device, but for that message to get updated, the device needs to be connected to the internet (if that device lock and message wasn't set up before disabling the Public Mobile service).

@computergeek541  - how can the lock screen be updated remotely (via internet)? I was not aware of this feature.

Looking4help

I unfortunately can’t connect to wifi! It’s making me enter the passcode. But that’s a great idea otherwise 🙂

Looking4help

Thanks! The SIM is active. I have it charged and turned on in case someone calls. I called the phone number but there is no voicemail set up (was hoping there would be a name). Will definitely try leaving a note in case it was a courier who left it, or anyone else. Great plan to turn it into the Police if all else fails! 

Looking4help

Will keep it charged and turned on in case they call!

Looking4help

Thanks so much! I’ve emailed customer service and am crossing my fingers that they can help.  

Looking4help

Can definitely turn it into the Police as a last resort! The SIM is still enabled and the phone has been sitting in the lobby of our apartment building for at least a week. Wanted to wait in case the person came back but when they didn’t, thought I’d try and help! It won’t let me connect to wifi without signing into the phone and it’s locked! So far there have been no missed calls. We will see what happens! Hoping a customer service agent can contact them for me. 

Looking4help

Good point. Hopefully they can contact the person for me. I tried speaking with Telus and Koodo but they said that there’s nothing they can do for me as they have “no way of searching for the individual in their system” since they are with Public Mobile. 

@Looking4help wrote:

Hi everyone! I found a lost phone in my apartment building and took out the SIM card to see that the provider is Public Mobile. I put the SIM card into my own phone to find get the phone number but otherwise do not have any further information as the phone is locked. If anyone had any idea how I can find out who’s phone this is, please let me know! I have called to Public Mobile dealers and Telus/Koodo but no one is able to assist. Thank you!

In addition to the previous suggestions of asking Public Mobile for help getting this device returned and with leaving the device at the local police station, another thing would be to ensure that the phone is always kept charged, powered on, and connected to the internet (via your home internet connection if necessary but delete the saved connection credential before giving the phone back to the owner).  I suspect that in most cases, the owner of the device is going to cut off all service immediately and may have already disabled the device with a screen/passcode lock.  However, smartphones can be set to display an on-screen message to anyone finding the device, but for that message to get updated, the device needs to be connected to the internet (if that device lock and message wasn't set up before disabling the Public Mobile service).

@Anonymous wrote:

or you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent

A customer support agent would not be able to provide details of who owns the phone. That would be serious privacy breach. However, I do agree that they might be able to contact the owner of the device or could possibly have the OP return the device to Telus and let them handle things.

jib_tech
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Looking4help 

See if you can get it to connect to free wifi somewhere like a local coffee shop the leave a note there so if the owner uses find my phone they might retrace their steps looking for their phone. I found my phone once that way.

@Looking4help 

Is the sim card active? If so see if you can leave it in a phone to see if the owner calls it. If its been reported lost/stolen the voicemail should be active. Call and leave a message for the owner. Try leaving a note in your mailroom asking for a description of the phone and it's phone number and/or telling the owner to call their voicemail. Put an ad on Craigslist's lost and found section. Contact customer support and supply the phone number, sim card# and IMEI of the phone and they should be able to locate the customer. If all else fails after a week or so turn it into your local police station.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Looking4help wrote:

@Looking4help  - if you are able to keep it charged, perhaps the owner will call it; then they will find you!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Looking4help 

I'd recommend simply bring the device to the local policing authorities.

You might also want to take it to a TELUS dealer and insist they find the rightful owner.

They could cross-reference the PM SIM card number and likely make e-mail contact to the righteous owner.

Otherwise, if you know the phone number registered, you could call it and let it go to voicemail with the 'hope' the owner will check the voice message and arrange contact with you that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Looking4help 

you can call to building superintendent and ask them if someone make reporting Lost Phone,

or you need to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Explain your issue to 
them can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

them only can check it out the SIM card number,

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by Click Here link,
  • please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: Public Mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

Need Help? Let's chat.