cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those not sure if they are getting LTE

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I see many posts, here and on RFD, of people saying they "only get 4G" and whether it means they are getting LTE or not.

The problem arises because some phones wrongly display 4G when connected to a 3G HSPA+ network. Some other phones will show 4G for LTE while most (at least I think) will show LTE when connected to LTE.

My OnePlus 3 shows H or H+ for HSPA, LTE for LTE and 4G+ for LTE advanced.

So if you see "4G" and are wondering if it means you are on HSPA (so 3G) or on true 4G-LTE, there is a simple way to check: Download the app "LTE discovery" from the Google Play Store. It'll show you to which type of network you are connected.

You can also find the information under "Settings", "About Phone", "Status", "SIM status": it'll be under "cellular network type". Both ways work but I think the app is easier.

Hopefully it'll help some of you. Blame carriers/phones manufacturers for this confusion.

10 REPLIES 10

bryanbreguet

Are you serious? There is VoLTE and LTE Voice? Wow, way to be confusing.

What's the differencer between the two? DO you guys in the East get access to LTE Voice with PM? Because in BC, we don't get VoLTE unless we are with Telus.

@bryanbreguet VoLTE and LTE Voice are NOT the same thing ...

Most carriers (Telus included) only support VoLTE on specific hardware 

Telus only has VoLTE in AB & BC

That's why those of us in ON & PQ only have LTE Voice

nmr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the app name LTE discovery. I was able to install and check LTE strength.

bryanbreguet

@kav2001c wrote:

@orangeworx wrote:

a list of devices that wrongly show H when it's LTE or whatever the scenario...

I also do not really see why it would switch networks during calls (or when making them) as the voice/data run seperately. What if data is disabled...

@orangeworx you can be on LTE voice if data is disabled

Public Mobile doesn't have that though. Telus does but PM customers don't have access to it.

bryanbreguet

@orangeworx wrote:

I also do not really see why it would switch networks during calls (or when making them) as the voice/data run seperately. What if data is disabled...

You didn't read my post carefuly. I never said there were phones showing H when it was LTE, I said there are many phones showing 4G when it's only HSPA (so 3G). I don't have a list for those devices but you can easily find people in thos forum or on RFD showing that.

Public Mobile doesn't have VoLTE (Voice over LTE). Telus does in some areas I believe. With PM (and most carriers honestly), when you make a phone call, it'll drop to 3G (or 2G with Rogers) since, you know, that's the only way for the voice to be carried. It doesn't run separately, you can't be connected to a 3G tower for voice and a 4G one for data at the same time. Just check your phone and you'll see.

I really don't think you understand what we are talking about here. Data being disabled doesn't matter here.

@orangeworx wrote:

@orangeworx you can be on LTE voice if data is disabled

orangeworx

bryanbreguet

@orangeworx wrote:

@bryanbreguet Thanks for the info but I'm wondering if you have a link to a list of devices that do this. I've yet to see one... From my experience, the displayed info should never be taken as truth since your device is always having a "conversation" with surrounding towers and picking up what is available.

i.e. Berri UQAM metro station in Montreal, I could be standing in the same spot while my phone is cycling through the lot of available bandwidths, it's has to do with balancing the loads on towers and never ending handoffs.

A list of devices that do what?

I never had any experience similar to yours. Only time it switches between networks is when you start a call (it'll fall to 3G) or when one becomes too weak.

orangeworx

@bryanbreguet Thanks for the info but I'm wondering if you have a link to a list of devices that do this. I've yet to see one... From my experience, the displayed info should never be taken as truth since your device is always having a "conversation" with surrounding towers and picking up what is available.

i.e. Berri UQAM metro station in Montreal, I could be standing in the same spot while my phone is cycling through the lot of available bandwidths, it's has to do with balancing the loads on towers and never ending handoffs.

primus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks,

I'm using Xaomi remi 3 pro and mine show 4G, LTE Discovery indecate that I'm on LTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.