cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experts Bet More Deals Are Coming

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Interesting read.......

CBC News: Missed out on the $60 10 GB cellphone plans? Experts bet more deals are coming - CBC News: Missed out on the $60 10 GB cellphone plans? Experts bet more deals are coming. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellphone-deals-data-1.4457183

20 REPLIES 20

Mr-Bump
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If they do 5/gb for $30 then sure you'd have 1000's of people going in to switch, but all the major companies match each other's prices.

So with 3 major companies all they are doing is swapping customers between each other while lowering the amount each customer is worth to them. There is also then a risk that one or two of those companies actually see a loss in overall customers and none of them want to risk that. 

Rogers started the promotion to keep people away from competition (Freedom) and it was extremely successful. The news articles aren't talking about how Freedom had people lining up out the door and 3hr phone queues. Only that Freedom's offer is what started it. 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

10GB for $60? Why not 5GB for $30?

If they offered that instead, I predict riots at the kiosks as everyone would come in for that.

But then again, it's not about what you get, it's about they get. ARPU needs to stay at the $60 or higher level. If they offered the $30 for 5GB, their ARPU would drop and that's not good from a bean counter's point of view.

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mr-Bump wrote:

Its not that they don't understand that, the know that almost all people signing up will use no where near 10gb/m. If they gave you 5gb for $40/m it would be saving them pennies but loosing them $240/yr per person in revenue.

They also get to people to stop and say "Wow, 10gb!" Which is great for advertising and consumers are often willing to pay a bit extra "just in case"

Yey for capitalism I guess.

Mr-Bump

Its not that they don't understand that, the know that almost all people signing up will use no where near 10gb/m. If they gave you 5gb for $40/m it would be saving them pennies but loosing them $240/yr per person in revenue.

They also get to people to stop and say "Wow, 10gb!" Which is great for advertising and consumers are often willing to pay a bit extra "just in case"

bilal684

Still too expensive and not worth it. Why can't the big three understand that customers don't need that load of data. We just need decent prices for the 2gb / 4gb per month plans. 

Wonder_why

bilal684

@Wonder_why 

How do you know that there will be a price war in Quebec?

Wonder_why

Celluar providers price wars

Michael77

@Wonder_why wrote:

Tomorrow starting at East end Quebec, Virgin and Koodo

@Wonder_why,

What's starting?

Wonder_why

Tomorrow starting at East end Quebec, Virgin and Koodo

@wetcoaster, I agree.

If we could see something for those of us who don't need (or want) 10GB and Canadawide calling, something around 5G/month with in Province long distance covered (similar to PM is great), and LD boosters available, I might be tempted to switch at $30 or $35 / month.

There are too many cellular users out there that need (or want) different things, no one plan meets the grade for everyone.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

All I interpret into the weekend's frency is that the $60/10GB is more market conform than anything that's been out there so far.

Now the company / brand that makes this a permanent offering and rounds it out with according different options for smaller (and bigger) data buckets would be really breaking ground in Canada (and likely still make a nice profit.)

Mr-Bump

Being owned by Shaw and having a more unique approach to the market should keep Freedom around for awhile. Obviously anything can happen, but this isn't small small start-up phone company.

bilal684

I wouldn't be too excited. What will eventually happen is one of the big three will buy Freedom mobile and the prices will increase. Happened with PM that was crushing the market. I don't see why it won't happen with Freedom... I hope Freedom doesn't agree on a deal with one of the big three. If it does, then we'll continue paying astronomous amount of $ for a service that is not worth half of the price. 

@Michael77 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

Interesting read.......

CBC News: Missed out on the $60 10 GB cellphone plans? Experts bet more deals are coming - CBC News: Missed out on the $60 10 GB cellphone plans? Experts bet more deals are coming. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellphone-deals-data-1.4457183

Are these people experts or are they merely opinionated.  We can all guess what will happen next and be equally accurate.  If these people are such experts, then why did the article come out after the completion of the $60 promo?  I guess their crystal has some haze on it like mine. 

One thing for sure, the average consumer needs to smarten up and look after themselves and these prophesies could be moreself fulfilling.  I saw the newscast on CBC national last night.  The stats if true are really alarming.  They said 47% of cellular customers had data overage charges on their bill and that the average cost for a 2 gig data plan was more than $100.  Buying data through overages is about the same as trying to buy a new car at the parts counter.  We can blame the monoply situation for high prices.  We can also point the finger back at the consumer for be an enabler of high prices. 

I wish I had a crystal ball. 🙂

If you don't have one, I can give you mine.  I have no use for it as it is broken. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

They did not elaborate on any breakdowns of the $100.  I am sure some of the cost has to do with getting a device with no money down up front.  Even if the $100 plan came with an iPhone, it is still questionable that $100 is justified.  Over 2 years, that is $2400.  Take out say $1000 for the phone which is generous (phone mortgages are usually $25 max per month), that leaves $1400 for service.  $60 per month for 2 gigs is expensive. 

Mr-Bump

Is the $100/2g stat including contracts or just monthly? If you are getting a flagship phone its not as bad I suppose (still think it's too much).

Anyways, its really great that the market is finally seeing some more fair pricing and that Freedom is able to make the big 3 shake. My Wife is a big data user and signed up yesterday at Superstore, it took about 10mins without a line up. But I don't use much or need the full 4g speed so stuck around to save some money. 

Michael77

@will13am wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

Interesting read.......

Are these people experts or are they merely opinionated.  We can all guess what will happen next and be equally accurate.  If these people are such experts, then why did the article come out after the completion of the $60 promo?  I guess their crystal has some haze on it like mine. 

One thing for sure, the average consumer needs to smarten up and look after themselves and these prophesies could be moreself fulfilling.  I saw the newscast on CBC national last night.  The stats if true are really alarming.  They said 47% of cellular customers had data overage charges on their bill and that the average cost for a 2 gig data plan was more than $100.  Buying data through overages is about the same as trying to buy a new car at the parts counter.  We can blame the monoply situation for high prices.  We can also point the finger back at the consumer for be an enabler of high prices. 

I wish I had a crystal ball. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Michael77 wrote:

Interesting read.......

Need Help? Let's chat.