cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with speed throttled to 512kbps.

dariovitale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello.

With the unlimited data plans has anyone passed their full speed allotted gb amounts per month? If so, when speed drops to 512kbps how seriously bad is it? Can you still stream on other devices using your cell's tethering / wifi / usb ethernet connection while throttled to 512kbps? 

6 REPLIES 6

Shubh2023

Hey,
I have used up my high speed data for the month, at least 1 week before billing date, the 1st few days after throttled data kicked in, it was quite good, I was getting 50-100Mbps, and it was just fine, but since last couple of days, its quite slow & sometimes texting on WhatsApp does feel slower, it may not go till 512Kbps. So, email, google search can be good + maps (limited access)

@dariovitale wrote:

Are talking about when speed drops to 512kbps? 

Yes @dariovitale .    I wouldn't expect to enjoy high quality video content / streaming services on the reduced data speed; if you can get away with it, great, however I'd think it would buffer if not manually set to a lower resolution.

hi @dariovitale you would still be able to hotspot to other devices, but 512 is 512, don't be great

Not suggest to stream Netflix or so, casual YouTube is ok, music and google map certainly work 

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Bluntly put the 512KB is very very slow if you’re going to use it for streaming. It will be buffering/lagging or it might not even work.

Even scrolling through social media you might experience some sort of lagging or prolonged waiting. 

dariovitale

Are talking about when speed drops to 512kbps? 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That's doubtful @dariovitale 

If you are streaming, you might find alot of buffering, unless you set the quality quite low.

It's really only 'intended' for use such as e-mail checking or navigating.   Not for med-high usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.