cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encourage Public Mobile to drop 2 factor authentication, is not safe, authenticator apps are safer.

Iamnature
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is the conclusion of the GTA Police, after they tracked down many folk, stealing SIM's, pretending to be the customer and then getting access to the 2 factor authentication as they were getting the verification codes, while you are left out of the picture, calling your cell provider, trying to convince them that they have been scammed. Now, with a company like Public, the only way to access them is by text message, you would have a hard time getting anyone, as your phone would no longer work, lol. They also steal your bank accounts and CC info., its a very tough spot to be in. So, I suggest that Public Mobile offer Authentication apps as a secondary way, if not the primary way of getting access to your account. Public has no human contact in Customer Support, so the need is greater with this type of cell provider! No phone # to access customer support! Thus the need to allow for the use of authentication apps.

7 REPLIES 7

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LeighWebber You can type to the chatbot "submit ticket" and then follow the prompts. If that doesn't work you can message support directly from this page: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

To use Chatbot to open ticket, you will need to type Submit Ticket, and choose Contact Us and then enter the login username password and it will bring you to the ticket open page

LeighWebber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How exactly do you reach a human customer support agent? Every time I try the chatbot just goes into a loop asking me to choose one of the suggested questions to ask.

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Even though its named Sim Swap it has nothing to do with Sims . Facebook is the app of choice  the crooks use to find out and create a profile of a person. After they find out enough to create a profile  they just  pretend they now have a new phone number and because they know enough about the target they are able to convince a chatbot and even a live agent to update the account phone number -  

It’s beyond me why, despite all the warnings, intelligent people continue to post their life’s details on facebook and other similar apps.

2FA is just one layer of digital protection.  You have to ask yourself how can someone expose themselves to being SIM jacked.  

@Iamnature wrote:

This is the conclusion of the GTA Police, after they tracked down many folk, stealing SIM's, pretending to be the customer and then getting access to the 2 factor authentication as they were getting the verification codes, while you are left out of the picture, calling your cell provider, trying to convince them that they have been scammed. Now, with a company like Public, the only way to access them is by text message, you would have a hard time getting anyone, as your phone would no longer work, lol. They also steal your bank accounts and CC info., its a very tough spot to be in. So, I suggest that Public Mobile offer Authentication apps as a secondary way, if not the primary way of getting access to your account. Public has no human contact in Customer Support, so the need is greater with this type of cell provider! No phone # to access customer support! Thus the need to allow for the use of authentication apps.

Public Mobiler does indeed have humans staffing the customer service department.   As for not using an authenticator, this likely was a decisions to keep a balance between security and ease of use.

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

2fa is not safest but better than none

Check around how many Canadian mobile providers is using and enforcing 2FA and you will know this is still a better way

Need Help? Let's chat.