cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doogee S95 Pro

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I finally managed to destroy my rugged Cat phone. It still works for calls, but an incident at work has melted half the plastics, torn some chunks of exposed electronics out, and left only half the display readable. I've done some ugly ad-hoc repairs and devised some arcane rituals which keep it working, but this isn't a real solution.

So I'm looking for a new phone.

• Must be ruggedized because I work indoors and outdoors, in all sorts of phone-hostile environments. Needs liquid-, dust-, and drop-resistance, more is always better. Anything too fragile or too awkward to hold and operate is not useful.
  • Needs to have decent display and camera resolutions. Doesn't need to be fancy cinema-grade screen or professional-grade photography ... it just needs to show and capture useful detail levels. In twilight, in sunlight.
  • Needs to be radio-compatible with Public (Telus). Doesn't need to fully support every possible band and frequency at maximum speed since I don't use much mobile data anyhow. But it does need to work reliably.
  • Needs decent battery life. Enough for a full day or two between charges. A big battery, a swappable/replaceable battery, an external battery add-on option, whatever. But it can't go "low power mode" for the rest of the work day after a few hours of activity. I don't always have electricity to plug into.
  • It has to run an Android. In English. No iToys and no Chinesium operating systems for me.
  • I genuinely don't care what the brand is or what it looks like as long as it's not too pink and it fits in my pocket/case. I buy tech, not fashion.

The Doogie S95 Pro seems like a good choice. But my only experience with the Doogie brand was a friend's low-end Doogie phone many years ago - it was utterly frustrating cheap junk. I understand you get exactly what you pay for but this particular device still stands out in my mind as being especially cheap garbage.

Does anyone have any experience with this Doogee phone, with other Doogee phones? Or any suggestions for another phone which would satisfy my criteria? I'm a little apprehensive about the brand - especially since the product I'm looking at isn't cheap - so I welcome feedback.

www.doogeephone.com/doogee-s95-pro

www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/f5f1524f

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

walker1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth 

I like using the Nokia XR20.

Battery non replaceable though, but worth a look.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

softech
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Samsung XCover 6 Pro coming.. with replaceable battery and headset jack.    interested?

dust2dust
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Have you used the gsmarena search? It's quite in-depth.

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

My perception of Doogee would be chinesium.

@softech wrote:

Samsung XCover 6 Pro coming.. with replaceable battery and headset jack.    interested?

Impressive hardware specs. But not ruggedized. Such a delicate and tech-dense device wouldn't last long, lol.

I suppose I should add one more important parameter: the device needs to be available in stores now.

Curious, why S95?  Latest one is S97, isn't it?  Or not something easy to find here? (sorry, I am not into this market myself  🙂  )

walker1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth 

@softech wrote:

Curious, why S95?  Latest one is S97, isn't it?  Or not something easy to find here? (sorry, I am not into this market myself  🙂  )

I just didn't know about the S97, lol.

It has some better specs and hardware than the S95. I admit I have little use for a Laser Rangefinder but I'd happily take the 8500mAh battery. Importantly, I can buy the S95 at my local Staples or London Drugs, I'd have to order the S97 through Alibaba - which automatically makes me agree with @dust2dust about Chinesium.

@Korth   S95 is Chinesium, too, isn't it?  But yes, Chinese phone is what I try to avoid too.  Good spec, but in many cases, too good to be true  🙂

@walker1 wrote:

@Korth 

I was unaware of this one. It seems a little overpriced - I mean, all of the ruggedized phones seem overpriced for what they give you, but this one seems even more overpriced than most, lol.

But it also seems like the best choice I've seen so far.

I'll give this thread a day or two to see if anything else turns up, but I think this phone might be it.

@softech 

All phones are Chinesium, in truth. Disposable consumer devices, built as quickly and efficiently and cheaply as they can mass produce in China.

I've learned to be very skeptical of ruggedized claims. That's why I will only buy rugged phones from a real store, even if it's a few hours drive away. I can lift, grip, bend, and (gently) drop the device right away - right in front of the salesperson - if it's cheap it'll fail this cursory assessment immediately. If it breaks after a waist-height fall onto store carpet (when the box says it's rated for a 10m fall onto concrete or steel) then there's really no way they can deny an immediate return and refund. But if I buy from Alibaba then I get stuck with whatever flimsy junk they want to slap a label onto - and, ironically, the "ruggedized hardened armored mil-spec" item is sometimes destroyed by shipping and handling before it even gets unwrapped, lol.