cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Public Mobile limit the number of people in a mass text?

Kendall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I used to be able to create a large group of contacts on my Blackberry Z30 and then send an SMS message to them at once. It was not an MMS message, let's get that out of the way first. It would simply be a shortcut to sending a text message to multiple people at one time.

However, I can no longer do that on my Android OnePlus 3. It seems to limit me to 8 contacts for some reason, and I'm trying to determine why. From some other questions I've run across elsewhere it seems that it may be related to the provider (ie. Public Mobile). However, could it also have something to do with the manufacturer?

NOTE: I am not interested in using another app for group texting, as I am rather nit-picky about how an app looks before I will consider using it, and most apps simply can't measure up to the Messenger app. But thanks for thinking of this (no doubt).

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kendall glad that worked out! How do you like the OnePlus messaging app?  I've never tried it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kendall

@srlawren wrote:

@Kendallyou're right i didn't read that far when i knew there was an obvious solution. My bad. Are you on OxygenOS 3.x or 4.0.1? V4 introduced a new Messaging app as well, I think from OnePlus, that's on the phone by default. You could check it out. Honestly if you are picky about look and feel I'd say that's another reason to try Textra since it is very customizable--but to each their own I guess. Basically you will have to choose between insisting on Messenger with it not being able to message more than 8 in SMS mode, or trying another app that will.

Ah, you are quite correct. I'd been using the Google Android stock messaging app and just switched the SMS mode today to check. Sure enough, the OnePlus app does enable a large group. Thanks!

U when I installed Textra on my android phone, I still had hangouts on my device.  When I first used Textra, it asked if I wanted to set as default OR one rime only.

You could accomplish just that, if you always click one time only.  All other SMS would continue through your default client.

srlawren

@Kendallyou're right i didn't read that far when i knew there was an obvious solution. My bad. Are you on OxygenOS 3.x or 4.0.1? V4 introduced a new Messaging app as well, I think from OnePlus, that's on the phone by default. You could check it out. Honestly if you are picky about look and feel I'd say that's another reason to try Textra since it is very customizable--but to each their own I guess. Basically you will have to choose between insisting on Messenger with it not being able to message more than 8 in SMS mode, or trying another app that will.  (EDIT: fixed some typos)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kendall

@srlawren wrote:

@WearySky is 100% correct.  @Kendall try using a different texting app.  I like TextraSMS, it's highly customizable and flexible.  There is a 1-time cost to remove adds after an initial trial period if you decide to keep it, but it's worth trialing at least.  There are others too, such as ChompSMS is popular, but there's tons.

@srlawren If you read my question I did mention that I didn't want to have to use a 3rd party app to do this, for various personal reasons. It wouldn't be so bad if I could simply send the message with that app (and only use it under those circumstances), but the fact that you can only have one app at a time that can send an SMS is an annoyance to say the least. If it comes to that, it may come to that though. Thanks anyway!

Kendall

@WearySky wrote:

Nothing to do with PM, everything to do with whatever messaging app you are using on your new phone. Since the blackberry app itself is creating a shortcut to sending the same individual SMS message to multiple people, PM would have zero idea that you were trying to send a mass message.

Ah, thanks. This does make quite a bit of sense, and it is as I feared 😞 . Oh well, not much I can do about that I guess. Thanks though!

Kendall

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Kendall  with your Blackberry were you with PM or another provider?

I was with Koodo at the time. However, I was with Koodo for a brief period of time with my Android and I think the same issue occurred (couldn't text more than 8 people at a time). But I am not 100% sure unfortunatley, as it wasn't very long.

srlawren

@WearySky is 100% correct.  @Kendall try using a different texting app.  I like TextraSMS, it's highly customizable and flexible.  There is a 1-time cost to remove adds after an initial trial period if you decide to keep it, but it's worth trialing at least.  There are others too, such as ChompSMS is popular, but there's tons.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nothing to do with PM, everything to do with whatever messaging app you are using on your new phone. Since the blackberry app itself is creating a shortcut to sending the same individual SMS message to multiple people, PM would have zero idea that you were trying to send a mass message.

@ManaYes it does.

@Kendall  with your Blackberry were you with PM or another provider?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that it's a locked phone issue, I was just suggesting to try another's carriers sim to check if they are able to send a group text using the same phone and same text app. 

If they are able to then it maybe a PM issue. 

If they are not then it maybe a phone or text app issue. 

Hope this make sense 

@Mana  I don't htink the OP has an issue with the phone being locked as they state it limits the number of contacts to 8.  Their question was if it was a hardware limitation or a provider limitation

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Kendall To troubleshoot, if your phone is unlocked, try putting a family member or friends sim from another carrier and see if you can do a group text or sms. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There is likely a limitation within the built in SMS app.  Try the play store for popular third party SMS apps.  I don't use SMS much and so unfortunately I cannot offer any guaranteed suggestions that have no group sizing limitations.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

That function is strickly limited on the software or app your phone uses. 

See if other users of that one plus 3 can come up with a solution.  Or contact One Plus for solution.

Need Help? Let's chat.