cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy in Data Usage Measurement

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yesterday, I received a text from PM that I had used 75% of my data and was a bit surprised since my phone's data measurement (DataWitness PM) was only showing 55% used up. Now, I've had issues with this app in the past after my phone restarts it stops measuring, so I thought maybe there discrepancy is attributed to that issue. But, I have just checked my self-serve account and it is showing that I have only used 560mb/1024mb, which is around 54%....

I realise that there is often a delay in updating data usage on self-serve, but it has been more than 24 hours since I got the text regarding my usage, so I'm curious what is going on - and mostly how much data I actually have remaining.

Has anyone experienced this before or is there something funky going on with my account?

9 REPLIES 9

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There has been several threads about the data meter being inaccurate recently.  Where there is smoke, could there be fire?  I know that the Public Mobile self serve has some software glitches, a fault in the data meter is a real serious problem.  That would like a breach of contract.  I just checked the data usage on my account and compared it to the metering on the phone.  The numbers are pretty close, 2.17 gigs on the phone, 2.177 gigs on my account.  This negligible difference can be attributed to the roundoff.

deep_gupta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi @youbme

This has happened to few of my friends and i suggest that you check the online public mobile account site for accurate data usage. Also, if the discrepancy actually happens its best to private message one of the mods liks shazia.. I wanted the public mobile support team to maybe setup an application in the future to check for the usage top up dates as it makes it easier then actually logging into the site. Hope this helps :).. cheers

Thanks,

Deep Gupta

youbme

@srlawren, I'll give it another day to see what the data usage says on my self-serve, but to make things more interesting I double-checked when I received the text message and it was on the 23rd. I'll keep you posted once I get to the bottom of the mystery Robot Happy

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@youbme very strange!  Your best bet now is probably to private message Shaiza to look into it for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

youbme

Good investigative work @srlawren, but I have not added any US roaming to my account ever. I do have a few MB remaining from a 1GB add-on that I have from a year ago, but that shouldn't have any impact. The mystery continues....

@srlawren wrote:

@youbme long shot here, but did you recently have a US add-on that included US romaing data?  Either one of the stand-alone US roaming data add-ons, or the bundle that includes talk+text_250MB?  If so, it seems to be "normal" to get a 75% notice and then a while later a 95% notice, both by text, as they are preparing to expire.  

In this case, they should really be saying something like "you have XX days left"... How confusing is that!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@youbme long shot here, but did you recently have a US add-on that included US romaing data?  Either one of the stand-alone US roaming data add-ons, or the bundle that includes talk+text_250MB?  If so, it seems to be "normal" to get a 75% notice and then a while later a 95% notice, both by text, as they are preparing to expire.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

youbme

Yes, I am inclined to agree with you... However, after looking more closely at the data usage on my self-serve, it seems that the log only shows data up to the 22nd, so a 3-day delay in logging data! I've certainly used some in the past three days, but I doubt it was enough to push me up to 75%.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Good question. I would assume the selfserve amount to be the good one... However the text is weird. You never know if the glitch is the text you received or the selfserve amount... But since your data app tells you 55% as well I would go with this one. Maybe a mod could confirm it to you? Never happened to me and haven't seen anything related on the forum...

Need Help? Let's chat.