cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

BarbaraV
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I get notified one day after payment , that I've used 75% of my data. This is BS, as I am always in wifi , and have cell data turned off most of the time . Seems like a scam to have me upgrade my package when I should have plenty to do me all month. Any ideas as to why this is happening. Is there something running (I have an iPhone) or a setting I need to change to prevent this from happening. This is the 2nd month in a row that this is happening. Now I'm 7 days away from my next billing renewal , and i have no data left. It's so frustrating . 

6 REPLIES 6

Dilber7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wifi assist uses data to help boost wifi speed so ya turn that off. Might also be worth it to navigate to ‘data usage’ in settings and see if any apps are sucking it up. I dont allow automatic backups, syncing, or upload. Dont allow photo/video preloading in social media app settings, and dont allow apps to run in background. Try using a different browser (I like duckduckgo) and delete apps you dont use every now and then. Check if youre tethering or providing a hotspot to another device. Also dont bother using 5G. 3G is fine ! 🙂

If that doesnt help, the meter itself might be malfunctioning, In which case check if your phone needs an update and try restarting it.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hopefully you figure out what the issue is. I have had Public for over 3 years and had no data usage concerns or issues. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Check your real data usage downloading Excel sheet. SMS regarding data are not always correct. Always check your account first before getting into panic mode 🙂

Do you leave DATA On overnight? Phone might use it even you being on WiFi 24/7.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BarbaraV 

On the cell, there is a data tracking app that records on a monthly cycle but PM is on a 30 days cycle so I never rely on the app and disable the app.

Also as noted @dust2dust to disable wifi assist.

Alway login your account because it is current and up to date on your data usage.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you have wifi assist turned on?

When you look at your account be sure to click on the little spinner refresh buttons lower down. Just refreshing the browser doesn't seem to do the job.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@BarbaraV hi those messages are sent out in error often , clear your cache or use a different broser in private or ingocognito mode and go into your self serve to look at your data usage 

Need Help? Let's chat.