cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

denisegrams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am having trouble understanding why I see a lot of data usage on my account around midnight when I am asleep and my phone is connected to WIFI in our apartment. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Add to what @ThatPug said, Android phones have such data limit and warning but it is designed primary for monthly cycle , not 30 days cycle as PM's.  So, you can use it if you are manually changing the cycle date every cycle

E-MobileData.png

On the other hand, you can also download app that can help to automatically reset status every 30 days

Android: Data Usage Manager & Monitor (formally Data counter widget) , Data Witness PM

iOS : My Data Manager

ThatPug

There also seem to be settings in 'billing cycle and data warnings' you can put for yourself to have a data limit on mobile data use, warning at certain usage levels etc.  Seem like useful tools if you're data sensitive.

ThatPug

For Android it seems to be settings-> Connections-> Data Usage, and there's a seting called "Mobile Data", I presume if you turn this off it should disable downloading from the Telus network until it's turned back on.

ThatPug

That probably depends on what celphone you're on, I presume it's different across apple/android/motorolla etc

denisegrams

Will you tell me how to make that change in settings? Thanks!

ThatPug

The trick may be to set your phone to wifi only when you're in the house, otherwise if the wifi signal gets too bad via noise or whatever else the phone will go onto the phone's data.

denisegrams

That is possibly the answer but very frustrating. I'll try leaving my phone closer to the modum. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams You probably still have some apps working in the background, doing updates to apps .

Make changes in your phone settings to only do updates when on wifi. That's what I would do.

denisegrams

I still don't understand why it is using data when I am on WIFI, sorry I am old ha ha

ThatPug

Is the phone having issues connecting to the wifi?  Possibly the wifi going out for periods?  I've certainly had experience with wifi frustrations and can vouch for how unreliable it can be.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@denisegrams That's because that's when PM does updates.

Need Help? Let's chat.