cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data disabled... but not even turned on.

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

Today while on my phone I've been farting around on it and suddenly got this message. I suppose it's entirely possible for my carrier to send me this message regardless if my data is turned on or off, but I do find it weird that I got it while I have my data off.

I'm not very concerned, I keep my data off most of the time for this phone, but I'm curious why I'm getting this message anyhow.Screenshot_20190404-125849_Trebuchet.png

It's probably worth noting that my phone is running unofficial software, so there are bound to be bugs.

Phone is a Galaxy Note 3 running LineageOS 16 (Android Pie).

14 REPLIES 14

Barryere

@slash407 wrote:

it just turned off, it happens ocassoanlly. Restarting ur phone could fix it, or wait abut and it could be fixed by PM if its a PM end problem

Yup. I don't think I'd use my Note 3 for my personal number as the modem seems vanish after a day or two then have to restart the phone.

I'll be using the phone, and suddenly have no service, and when I go into settings everything that has to do with carrier info will say unknown including the baseband/modem. Kinda funny, but I'm using a different phone as a daily driver so not entirely bothered by it.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Barryere wrote:

Well thanks to said person, haha. I wasn't really paying attention to whom I was replying to, but I probably thought I had the right person.

@Barryere no worries, glad to have helped.

Yes BBM = BlackBerry Messenger.  Once upon a time, most of my friends were on it.  Now, just one, but she's a very important one (my better half, in fact).  As much as it's annoying having that one extra app around, it's fun having a dedicated app just for chatting with her.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Barryere

Well thanks to said person, haha. I wasn't really paying attention to whom I was replying to, but I probably thought I had the right person.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

I did what you have suggested but nothing seems to have actually happened - probably just the system build being unfinished.

And to poke fun, I don't know what BBM is.

BLACKBERRY BABY!! 🙂

BlackBerry Messenger

I had my suspicions you might've been talking about that but I just didn't wanna be a smarta**.

I restarted my phone and the minimizing trick worked. Thanks for the tip.

That was srlawren with the tip and the BBM mention.

Barryere

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

I did what you have suggested but nothing seems to have actually happened - probably just the system build being unfinished.

BLACKBERRY BABY!! 🙂

BlackBerry Messenger

I had my suspicions you might've been talking about that but I just didn't wanna be a smarta**.

I restarted my phone and the minimizing trick worked. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

BLACKBERRY BABY!! 🙂

BlackBerry Messenger

Barryere

@srlawren wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Barryere  It sounds like there are no issues except for the notification. Hide the notification.

@Barryere I agree with this, I suspect it's a Lineage quirk where it thinks the provider cut you off becasue you have the data turned off.  Just a semi-educated guess, as I've never heard of that particular message before.

One other unsolicited suggestion:  since you're on Pie, try tapping and holding on the LastPass notification, and then choose Minimize.  You can collapse persistent notifications in Pie so they roll up to just a title.  You can still get at it by manually expanding it if you run into an app where you need to use the Notification to use LastPass, but most will just work by default and show you the LastPass prompt.  I've done this with a few things now: LastPass, BBM (don't ask, LOL), LTE Discovery, and Blokada.  It keeps the notification shade much cleaner and you can focus on the "real" notifications which you need to action.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Barryere  It sounds like there are no issues except for the notification. Hide the notification.

@Barryere I agree with this, I suspect it's a Lineage quirk where it thinks the provider cut you off becasue you have the data turned off.  Just a semi-educated guess, as I've never heard of that particular message before.

One other unsolicited suggestion:  since you're on Pie, try tapping and holding on the LastPass notification, and then choose Minimize.  You can collapse persistent notifications in Pie so they roll up to just a title.  You can still get at it by manually expanding it if you run into an app where you need to use the Notification to use LastPass, but most will just work by default and show you the LastPass prompt.  I've done this with a few things now: LastPass, BBM (don't ask, LOL), LTE Discovery, and Blokada.  It keeps the notification shade much cleaner and you can focus on the "real" notifications which you need to action.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Barryere

@DavySprocket wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Today while on my phone I've been farting around on it and suddenly got this message. I suppose it's entirely possible for my carrier to send me this message regardless if my data is turned on or off, but I do find it weird that I got it while I have my data off.

I'm not very concerned, I keep my data off most of the time for this phone, but I'm curious why I'm getting this message anyhow.

It's probably worth noting that my phone is running unofficial software, so there are bound to be bugs.

And does your data work now?

Does it show lower down on your overview page?

Do you even have a data component in your service?

I have 250mb of data with my plan. I just went to the PM website on my phone on data with WIFI off.

So then it works now?

Otherwise try restarting your phone and check that the access point names are correct for public mobile.

Data: sp.mb.com

Hotspot: isp.mb.com

Yeah it seems to work fine. There is no hotspot listed in the APN settings.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Barryere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

I'm not very concerned, I keep my data off most of the time for this phone, but I'm curious why I'm getting this message anyhow.

I have 250mb of data with my plan. I just went to the PM website on my phone on data with WIFI off.

DavySprocket
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Barryere wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

So then it works now?

Otherwise try restarting your phone and check that the access point names are correct for public mobile.

Data: sp.mb.com

Hotspot: isp.mb.com

Barryere

@Anonymous wrote:

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

@Barryere  Was your data ever working on the Note3 with Lineage? I would try a network settings reset then make sure your network selection settings are all configured as automatic and go from there.

Need Help? Let's chat.