cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cuba coverage?

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is there a Roaming Add-on for data when vacationing in Cuba, specifically one that works in the Cayo Coco (Jardines del Rey) region?

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo fixed.  Homehow I managed to get the "." and space after the link included in the URL text, which made it not valid.  Thanks for letting me know!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@srlawren  your link doenst seem to work, can you re post? 

As for the app I  linked to, it was the only one i had used so was giving personal experience, I should have mentioned that i have not used the app in over a year,  not haveing used any other ones i could not reccomend anything else.  So yes there may be better ones or more updated ones.  

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@wetcoaster  i think this was the one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.yas.freeSmsForwarder&hl=en

@mimmo that one hasn't been updated since Feb 2017, so I'm not sure if it's still being maintained or not. Also, only gets a 3.9 review rating.

You could instead try this one which was last updated last month, and has a 4.3 overall rating: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zhaocw.wozhuan3. That said, I haven't used any of these apps.  I'd probably start with this one if I were needing it personally, since it's updated recently and gets decent reviews.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@wetcoaster  i think this was the one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.yas.freeSmsForwarder&hl=en

Edit: see posts below 🙂

@mimmo

Thanks!

I'll look into it again - at this time it's more of a "nice to have". The last time I looked into it Google came up with all kinds of red flags, so I abandoned the pursuit.

mimmo

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mimmo

Do you have a recommandation for a SMS forwarding app?

@wetcoaster i think it was called sms forwarder (android)  it could send SMS to email or to another number.  Remember sim has to stay in Canada and the phone needs to be plugged in with signal to work.

@mimmo wrote:

You are on vacation take pics with the phone and enjoy the beach:) no need for getting calls.

What I have done in past though is forward calls before leaving Canada to fongo. Can do the same with SMS but sim needs to stay in Canada in old phone using SMS forwarding app.

Last time I was in Cuba it was better and cheaper to get a local Cuban to get the sim for you.

Also make sure to ask for the local Cuban menus not the tourist menus. There can be big price differences.

@mimmo

Do you have a recommandation for a SMS forwarding app?

mimmo

You are on vacation take pics with the phone and enjoy the beach:) no need for getting calls.

What I have done in past though is forward calls before leaving Canada to fongo. Can do the same with SMS but sim needs to stay in Canada in old phone using SMS forwarding app.

Last time I was in Cuba it was better and cheaper to get a local Cuban to get the sim for you.

Also make sure to ask for the local Cuban menus not the tourist menus. There can be big price differences.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Staying in a resort town so I'm not sure if they have SIMs available for non-Cubans. Mine's a Dual-SIM unlocked phone, so if I do find one I can jump on that. Also resort reviews indicate that the wi-fi coverage is very geo-limited (only near the reception and nowhere else).

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@marsbar

With PM, there are no roaming options other than the US.  A work-around is to use an app like Fongo that will forward call from you Canadian number to your app using WiFi while you are down there.  Otherwise I would recommend getting a local SIM during your stay.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@marsbar Sorry to say Cuba is not covered and there is no add-on for that.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I believe the only Roaming add-on is for the US only.  

Need Help? Let's chat.