cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing numbers and sim card

gsmiley007
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I just bought my public sim card. however I have not activated it.   I have a xiaomi  redmi note 7 and was using https://www.frequencycheck.com/ to make sure my phone was compatible.  However I saw that some people were having issues with xiaomi even though it was suppose to be compatible.  

So my question is if I get a new number to test to make sure my phone works.  When I want to transfer my existing number from chatr, do I have to buy a new sim card or can I reuse the one that I got the new number with.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Patchio
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gsmiley007 

The first option you listed is correct. 

1. New Number from PM (new sim card - lets call it sim1 ), then port Number from Chatr (use the same sim card (sim1) - requires 1 SIM card

Please remember to get your Chatr Account Number by calling Chatr customer service before you try to port your number to PM, otherwise you might experience issues during the porting process. 

Good luck. 

gsmiley007

Sorry for still being confused.  My issue is the SIM card.

Which of these 2 options is correct.

1. New Number (new sim card - lets call it sim1 ), the port Number (use the same sim card (sim1) - requires 1 sim card

2. New Number (new sim card - lets call it sim1 , then port Number (need new card lets call it sim2) - requires 2 sim cards

@gsmiley007 yes correct.  Pick the lowest plan to test and you can upgrade to another plan on the new cycle

gsmiley007

So if I want to test the phone with the brand new sim card.  I activate it with a new number.  Once I'm satisfied that it is working.  I can then port my existing number to the sim card I just activated (so only 1 sim card required to do the test and port later) correct?

@gsmiley007  Yes, yes, you can use your brand new public, mobile Sim card to test the phone and if it works, you can then port in your number via your my account afterwards. You are looking for the change phone number option..

@gsmiley007 wrote:

I have the global version.  Not sure if know anyone on telus/koodo/pm.  that's why i'm wondering if I get a new number and it works fine, I want to transfer my existing line.  Do I need a new sim card or can I use the existing one to port my number

You need new sim card from PM (go to PM store is better than PM online ) when you are going to port your previously phone number to PM.

@gsmiley007   what existing sim card you have?  you said earlier "I just bought my public sim card", if that sim card has never been activated, then yes, you can use that to activate.  Only PM sim card that never been used , never be activated can be used to activate new account

gsmiley007

I have the global version.  Not sure if know anyone on telus/koodo/pm.  that's why i'm wondering if I get a new number and it works fine, I want to transfer my existing line.  Do I need a new sim card or can I use the existing one to port my number

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gsmiley007   there are global and non global version of this phone, which one you have?

this are the bands of the 2 versions, BOLD are the compatible one:

Global:

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - Global

4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40 - Global

No Global:
3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G:  1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41

and these are the bands used on PM:

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.

Overall, both might not work very well on LTE, but the Global one should be better, much better.  The non-global one, likely the LTE data will be unstable and might not connect in some area

Add:

I believe by non-Global, it is an India version and the main difference is the camera.  But please confirm your version:

Versions: Global market (48+5 MP); India (12+2 MP)

Best to do, ask a friend using Telus/Koodo/PM and test the sim card there

Need Help? Let's chat.