cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Numbers on Same SIM Card

JRMan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My dad (who is also on Public Mobile) dropped his phone into the ocean. Not only did it mess up his phone but apparently his SIM as well. He went and bought a new SIM at Walmart but they activated him at the time with a new phone number / new account. He wants to get his old phone number / account back. Now that the new SIM has been associated with a different number, is it possible to use it for his old number? Or will he need to buy another new SIM and make sure they don't activate it at the store?

8 REPLIES 8

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JRMan Have you tried this by logging into your existing account? Clicking on this would allow you to change the SIM Card in your self-serve account.

change.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JRMan 

for new account with new SIM card you have to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent , to cancel that account..

for old account you have to buy it a New SIM card for it and also when you are contact CSA, the will change your New SIM card under old account, to set everthing with them.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

get a New SIM card is better for you and fast way

from any Retail store or any gas station near you and you buy it right away,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click Here link 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here link, or Pickup 1-2 Hours.

If you manage to get your old account connected to new SIM (you need new SIM for sure), do not forget to remove autopay (if set up) and credit card from Walmart activated account in order to close it. Or try to pass, sell, etc it somebody (friend, family).

I am sure people working in Walmart's mobile centre know better but this is a Sale for them; why would they give freebies?

This post should be in the Walmart Hall of Shame. 

Do you have access to his original account?

If yes:

Buy a new SIM and London Drugs or some other reliable retailer that will sell a SIM only. 

Log into his old account and do Change Sim. Some numbers may appear and will be the last numbers of a SIM card. Proceed to change as long as those numbers are NOT the same as what are on the SIM card that was purchased at Walmart. 

Or you could “try” to explain your issue to a CSA and see if the SIM can be reassigned to his original account and original plan. I would consider the money spent at Walmart as a loss. 

If auto pay pay was set up on the account that Walmart set up...remove the credit or debit card.  Did you finish setting up the account from Walmart? 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JRMan 

What email address did your father used to activate the new SIM because you can’t have two numbers (old number and new number) on the same account?

I assume he has one email address so how was activation completed on the new SIM.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@JRMan 

If the situation you described here was described at the Walmart Mobile Center, they should have known better than to provide a new SIM card and proceed with a new activation.

I think they probably know better but their first priority is to make money, not providing free help...like us 😁

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@JRMan 

If it were me, I would go back to the same Walmart and politely request they provide you with a complimentary SIM card.

If the situation you described here was described at the Walmart Mobile Center, they should have known better than to provide a new SIM card and proceed with a new activation.

So long as he's not 90 days past the last date of service, the account/ number would still be available by using the change SIM card feature outlined by @t_p 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@JRMan wrote:

My dad (who is also on Public Mobile) dropped his phone into the ocean. Not only did it mess up his phone but apparently his SIM as well. He went and bought a new SIM at Walmart but they activated him at the time with a new phone number / new account. He wants to get his old phone number / account back. Now that the new SIM has been associated with a different number, is it possible to use it for his old number? Or will he need to buy another new SIM and make sure they don't activate it at the store?

@JRMan 

Is his old account still active?

If so, he can buy a new SIM card, login to the account and change the card himself. His info will be transfered to the new SIM along with the old phone number.

Ref, SIM Swap Fraud (publicmobile.ca) > 

How To Change Your SIM Card

Note: Officially you can't transfer phone numbers between 2 PM accounts, but some users have been able to do so with certain "understanding" CSA, so if you want to follow that route, YMMV.

Need Help? Let's chat.