cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change number

Sirgool
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I was talking to Rogers about getting a number I once had with them back and they told me to contact public and if it's available I could get it. Can someone assist?

13 REPLIES 13

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Sirgool wrote:

Hi I was talking to Rogers about getting a number I once had with them back and they told me to contact public and if it's available I could get it. Can someone assist?

That a load of bull. If it's availabe?  You can only number port a phone number if it is one that you are currently using.  It doesn't matter if it is available unless you first have it active at Rogers if it is their number and if is still available.  There isn't a thing Public Mobile can do for you.  Only Rogers can assign a Rogers number to a customer.  You need to talk to them again if it is availablr and have them assign it to your Rogers account.

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@popping wrote:

@Sirgool wrote:

I know I can get the number I need someone from public to assist with changing the number. 

Have you call the number you want as @Anonymous suggested?

There is no point to contact PM moderator if that number is taken.

If that number is not taken, as @Anonymous suggested, if it is not a number from Telus, then you need to activate a plan with the carrier who owns that number first.  Then port that number to PM.

PM has no power to get a number from other carrier if the number is not active.

To put it more simply as I stated before, kinda sounds like Rogers brushed you off, as I cannot access their recorded calls/case notes I cannot speculate further.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sirgool wrote:

I know I can get the number I need someone from public to assist with changing the number. 

Have you call the number you want as @Anonymous suggested?

There is no point to contact PM moderator if that number is taken.

If that number is not taken, as @Anonymous suggested, if it is not a number from Telus, then you need to activate a plan with the carrier who owns that number first.  Then port that number to PM.

PM has no power to get a number from other carrier if the number is not active.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sirgool wrote:

You need to know where the number originated from. Carriers have their own blocks of numbers. If it's from a non-Telus brand then you would need to go to them and sign up and get the number and then if you're that interested in being here then port the number over.

Sirgool
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

popping

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sirgool

Call the number. If someone answers - that's that.

Great simple idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sirgool

Call the number. If someone answers - that's that.

popping

@shskr wrote:

@Sirgool wrote:

I always thought once the phone number is deleted or account is delete the number goes back into circulation and can be taken by the next new account. I may be wrong but if it has been gone for a while it may be taken by someone else.

All Canadian phone providers will keep the cancel numbers in a separate waitng pool for 3 - 6 months before re-use them again.  This is to avoid the friends of the previous owner from calling the new owner of the new phone number.

For Rogers phone number, one can activate a Chatr $10 plan to determine your old number is still available or not.

mimmo

@Sirgool  if it was a rogers number, i would call rogers and say you want to create an account with that specific number.  if they give it to you, then you port that number to public mobile.  

Public has no ownership of numbers which were not theirs.

Dankaroo

@shskr wrote:

@Sirgool wrote:

I always thought once the phone number is deleted or account is delete the number goes back into circulation and can be taken by the next new account. I may be wrong but if it has been gone for a while it may be taken by someone else.

It sounds like that is the case and you are not wrong regarding the circulation. It is just a shame Rogers representatives have the awful tendancy to be either misinformed or wholey unhelpful. It's almost like they are paid to waste people's time.

shskr

@Sirgool wrote:

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link, and provide your public mobile phone number and PIN and explain whats going on :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...
Do not forget to create your Community account to be able to contact them.

Dankaroo

@Sirgool wrote:

Kinda sounds like they brushed you off. PM can only offer you numbers in their pool or port a number from Rogers pool.

If you want to attempt porting you can do so with self serve but you need to utilize Rogers account number associated with the old phone number.

If you get any other errors in the process I suggest navigating to @CS_Agent page, scroll down to Contact me section and send them a private message indicating your intent to port and the error associated.

Need Help? Let's chat.