cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set APN settings for MMS (Iphone)

willph
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have two telus phones.  Trying to test with my iphone 5s.
I pop in the public mobile sim, activated perfectly fine and set the main APN address of sp.mb.com

However I do not have an option for MMS or MMSC settings.  

I tried using unlockitz, however the data there says the MMSC is blank.  so it isnt putting anything in there.

I tried going to general > about and the carrier is set to Public mobile, but the version is Telus.  

It doesnt prompt me for a carrier update.

Running iOS version 8.1.3 

Carrier version currently: Telus 18.1

Data works fine, calls incoming and outgoing work fine, but picture messaging does not.

I tested on my friend's windows phone, and all we had to put in was sp.mb.com and everything works fine.  no other settings seemed needed.

14 REPLIES 14

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@eww wrote:

I have an iPhone 4s and I also cannot send/recieve picture messages.  I think it has to do with APN settings?  It's running iOS 6 and it works great.  How do we update the settings when we cannot access them?  Apple's website said something about contacting the carrier.  Apple no longer supports updates for this phone so we cannot upgrade iOS even if we wanted to.

I also tried the unlockit website and it didn't work.

You should be able to update it to iOS 9.3.5, which is the latest one for the 4s.  I would do that first (Settings -> General -> Software Update).

Next, do you have any profiles?  (Settings -> General -> Profile).  If this option doesn't exist, then you likely don't have any profiles.  Also, I'm not sure if iOS 6 supported profiles, and cannot check since I don't have a device on iOS 6.  Delete any existing profiles (tap each one, one by one, and tap on "Delete Profile"), and then go to https://www.unlockit.co.za/fw/ again.  Tap on the "Create APN" option, then select Country=Canada, Carrier=Public Mobile, and then tap the "Create APN" button.  On the next page, you're prompted to Install Profile; you can review "More Details" if you wish, under which you'll see that the profile will attach APN sp.mb.com to the Cellular Settings.  To put it into effect, go back to Install Profile and then tap Install.  Enter your PIN if needed, then click Install on the warning page.

This is the only way to set the APN on the 4/4s as far as I know (I think some of the major carriers at the time of the iOS might be hard-coded into the OS, but some of the smaller ones would not be, hence needing to manually set it up).

Good luck!

eww
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have an iPhone 4s and I also cannot send/recieve picture messages.  I think it has to do with APN settings?  It's running iOS 6 and it works great.  How do we update the settings when we cannot access them?  Apple's website said something about contacting the carrier.  Apple no longer supports updates for this phone so we cannot upgrade iOS even if we wanted to.

I also tried the unlockit website and it didn't work.

LeSong

So for those of you who might have this issue or still have this issue with thier iPhone device, I would like to confirm that the only way around to get this resolved is by updating your iOS as i'm not much a big van of updating the OS of my phone but after seeking PM MOD help and support and trying too many ways to work it out without the need to update my iOS, nothing worked out unfortunately even though my services were all working fine as normal except for the Data which i somehow belive it's an APN issue as it was showing me
Carrier version currently: Telus 18.1 // without promoting me any Carrier update.
yesterday, I updated my iPhone and instantly my iPhone start catching up with PM Data on both 3G and LTE networks.

WearySky

Ahh, I did a text search for unlockit.co.nz and missed that you had typed it "unlockitz" 😛

willph

@WearySky  I mentioned that I tried that in the first post.

No joy there.

They have the MMS settings as blank and not input correctly.

I've emailed unlockitz to update it.  Haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks

WearySky

@willph try visiting unlockit.co.nz over wifi on your 5S.  You *should* be able to set the APN settings via that site.

willph

Everything works fine now on my iphone 6 which is up to date.

I still cant manually edit the settings but it looks like they came down from the carrier.  I can do data, calls, and MMS perfectly fine now.  Tested on and off wifi.  So far so good today.  I'll probably port my number over later today I think

I think it has to do with the old iOS on the iphone 5s.  I still havent tried to update it yet.

altind

i see exact settings as you

and public mobile support is n on existent and cannot fix the issue

my third day without service

willph

So I plugged the PM sim into my iphone 6 which is fully up to date iOS wise.

The carrier is auto updated to Public Mobile 25.0
However the APN settings are not available to be adjusted.

Under settings > Cellular > Cellular data options > cellular data Network > 
Personal hotspot APN, username, and password and reset settings are the only options.

I can send MMS pictures now, but cannot receive any.

weird.  and still cant edit all the settings i should be able to.

Telus locked iphone 6 btw.

Any help?

willph

Thank you for the replies.

I will try in my iphone 6 when I get a break at work today.  If the settings are there, or I can do a carrier update, then it should be all good.

Updating the old iphone is only possible when i get home as the data download will be quite high on my work wifi (might get in trouble haha).

Looking at the link that @mimmo sent, and comparing to telus' mms, you are correct in saying they are the same, so I am not sure why it wouldnt work....  Unless my telus carrier settings are too old.  But it should still prompt for a carrier update.

stay tuned, ill do a bit more testing. I appreciate the help so far.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@willph,  there is no harm in putting your PM sim in your phone and seeing if the APN settings show up. 

these are the telus APN settings which i think are the same (at least for MMS)   so there might not be a issue.  

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=publicmobile%20apn%20set...

A IPhone expert migt be able to help you better.  

willph

My iphone 6 on telus is fully up to date, but does not have access to the APN settings either.  All i get is the apn server, user and pass....no other settings avail to adjust.

However i havent tried plugging my public mobile sim in it yet.

It is running my telus sim and number which I plan to cut over at some point once i can fully test everything.

dc2r
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

latest iOS is 10.1 if you're on a 5s, I would strongly suggest you back up your phone and update to the latest iOS, you are definitely missing a lot of features if you're on iOS 8.x still.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I had the same issue. you needto update your ios operating system. once that is sone you should be at 10.x. and you should have full acces to apn settings.

Need Help? Let's chat.