cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canad wide Talk, but blocked from calling same province. (Ontario: Brampton to Thunder Bay)

updatehelenasap
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm on a $25 per 30 days plan

• This plan includes: -
  • - 500MB + 500MB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

It states I have Canada-wide Talk but it blocks me "you don't have active long distance add-on".  

I'm trying to call Lakehead university in Thunder Bay, ON from Brampton, ON but I can't.  This wasn't the only time.  When I tried to call a 416 number, since I had a 1 before area code, the phone blocked me.  I was able to call after taking out 1 before 416 last time.  But for 1-857-343-5800 Lakehead admin number, even without the 1 before 857, I am blocked.  

Doesn't Canada-wide Talk mean i can call anywhere in Canada or even in the same province?

I had issues with call drop when I was on a $35 plan with 1G + 500 MB bonus on 30 day plan and now that I'm on a $25 plan, it give me another issue.  

-----

Thanks for all the replies!  I've solved the issue.  I had a typo for the area code.  Area code was 807, but I saved it as 857.  Must have been busy. My bad.  

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

sometimes putting 1 before area code could help.

@updatehelenasap , you are correct in assuming that you should be able to call any Canadian phone number.

If "lost/stolen/found" doesn't work, the other thing would be to add a $1 payment to your account.

If those "tricks" fail to fix things, there could be an account provisioning issue needing moderator attention.  You can contact them through this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(Threads merged.  It looks like this was an issue phone numbers being misdialed).

updatehelenasap

(807) 343-8500 is the direct number to Lakehead U admin.

(807) 343-8110 is the switchboard at Lakehead that directs callers to specific departments.

I had the wrong area code (857) saved on my contact list, so it was all my fault for not double checking the area code or typos.  I noticed that I made a typo on the original msg on board as well.  The correct phone number is (807) 343-8500 for direct admin department.

I'm not sure about the last time calling 1-416 number where I got blocked and had to take out the 1 and only dial from 416 to talk to my dermatologist.  But, for now,  since I'm super busy with paperwork, I'm just gonna leave it hanging until I get another issue.

Thank you for all your support!  I actually used your switchboard contact number to call the university.  So, yes, the long distance/toll free which ever it was did work.  

Have a wonderful day! 🙂

@updatehelenasap wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The number you've provided is the switchboard, where the Lakehead U operator transfers callers to different department.  The number I used was the direct line to the admin office. Thanks. 

@updatehelenasap  Where you able to dial the switchboard number sucessfully? I'm confused, are you saying there was a provisioning problem with your account and now you can call that number?

updatehelenasap

My bad.  I had a typo on my saved number.  Thanks!

updatehelenasap

Thanks for the reply. The number you've provided is the switchboard, where the Lakehead U operator transfers callers to different department.  The number I used was the direct line to the admin office. Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@updatehelenasap 

Yeah check the number. The area code is wrong as mentioned but the prefix is right.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@updatehelenasap, it sounds like you have an account provisioning problem affecting the calling feature.  I suggest contacting the moderator team and have them do a reset.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include a detailed description of the issue and the required resolution. This will speed up problem resolution significantly. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Concerning the 857 phone number, that is a Boston area code.  It requires US add-on to call.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_617_and_857

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@updatehelenasap wrote:

It states I have Canada-wide Talk but the call blocks me stating "you don't have active long distance add-on".  

I'm trying to call Lakehead university in Thunder Bay, ON from Brampton, ON but I can't.  This wasn't the only time.  When I tried to call a 416 number, since I had a 1 before area code, the phone blocked me.  I was able to call after taking out 1 before 416 last time.  But for 1-857-343-5800 Lakehead admin number, even without the 1 before 857, I am blocked.  

Doesn't Canada-wide Talk mean i can call anywhere in Canada or even in the same province?

I had issues with call drop when I was on a $35 plan with 1G + 500 MB bonus on 30 day plan and now that I'm on a $25 plan, it give me another issue.  

Try this....log into My Account / Plan and Add-ons / Lost-Stolen tab. Suspend service then log out for 5 minutes. Log back in and Resume service...then log out and cycle phone off / on.

Good luck.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@updatehelenasap wrote:

It states I have Canada-wide Talk but it blocks me "you don't have active long distance add-on".  

@updatehelenasap  Weird, I get the same message when I try calling that number. Are you sure that is the correct number?

Edit: The reason I ask is because I can call other toll free numbers without an issue. You should double check that number.

Try:  1-807-343-8110 instead. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@updatehelenasap 

Try the lost/stolen feature.
Log in to self-serve. Plan & Add-Ons from top menu. Lost/Stolen Phone from next menu. Suspend Service button. Log out. Wait a few minutes. Log back in and back to Lost/Stolen Phone and Resume Service this time. Log out. Restart phone.
See what happens.

updatehelenasap

It states I have Canada-wide Talk but the call blocks me stating "you don't have active long distance add-on".  

Need Help? Let's chat.