cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn on data after travel, iphone SE

sergi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently travelled and used foreign carrier sim card while was abroad. The data settings on my iphone SE were changed to those of the foreign carrier. Don;t really know what was changed.

When I returned to Canada, i could not activate data with my public mobile sim card anymore.
When I open browser, I get the following message: "Could not activate cellular data network. Turn on cellular data or use WiFi to access data"

I re-set all the possible settings but nothing works so far.

- My Iphone SE is Canadian and previously the data worked well with Koodo and Public mobile.

- Cellular data is ON.

- My Public mobile data plan is active and data used well below the limit.

- I did re-set network settings (General->Reset->Reset network settings)

- APN is set to isp.mb.com (Cellular->Cellural Data Options->Cellular data network)

- I tried getting out and putting back sim card, did't help.

- There is no specific user profile in General iphone settings.

- I see Public Mobile 32.0 as carrier in General->About menu.

What should I do to enable internet/data connection on my iphone ???

Appreciate your help!

9 REPLIES 9

anya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Luddite wrote:

@anya wrote:

sergi, Might be worth trying this; create, download and install an APN profile from here: https://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Usually only recommended for iPhone 4 and earlier; anything running iOS 9 and up should pick up the required settings with a carrier update.

LOL, I didn't realize that. I have an unlocked 6S and when I first put the PM SIM in the phone it could not access data, so I installed the unlockit APN profile (I'd used it before on an iPhone 4, so I just assumed I needed to again). I just deleted the profile and I still have data access. I guess a little patience and reboot might have achieved the same result ;). Thank you for the info.

sergi

Thank you so much restoring the phone from iCloud really helped, although I had other issues associated with restoring, the data works well now.

Surprisingly however, the backup was long ago when I was with Virgin. So the restore set my APN to pda2.bell.ca.

And the data works!!!

How is this even possible???

sergi

I tried sp.mb.com. Didn't help.

I restored my old settings through iCloud. The backup was long ago when I was with Virgin.

So now my APN is pda2.bell.ca. Ant the data works!!!

It's a mistery to me.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@sergi, do you have a way to change it from isp.mb.com to sp.mb.com?

@anya wrote:

sergi, Might be worth trying this; create, download and install an APN profile from here: https://www.unlockit.co.nz/

Usually only recommended for iPhone 4 and earlier; anything running iOS 9 and up should pick up the required settings with a carrier update.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

anya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sergi, Might be worth trying this; create, download and install an APN profile from here: https://www.unlockit.co.nz/

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sergi I think you should try to restore the iOS software via iTunes. If it still doesn't work, 

I recommend you send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to investigate that for you.  include your account# or phone#, as well as your account PIN (if know) to help speed up the identification process.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message.

You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

How long until a moderator replies?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

Oh. Do calls & texts function properly?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

It all looks correct and matches settings on my SE. So last thing occuring to me would be 

to  ”force" change of your network settings.  

• Go to Settings

• Then go to Carrier, turn offf Automatic and select a network other than Public Mobile, Telus, or Koodo 

• When you exit the menu the phone should lose the network.

• Repeat the process and select Public Mobile as your mobile network.

If all that fails, I'm afraid you will need to try a factory reset. Do a full backup before you do, though.

Need Help? Let's chat.