cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive/send text messages

Why_Me
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I portered my number a day ago and have not been able to receive or send texts. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

14 REPLIES 14

Why_Me

I ported my number from a postpaid service. 

Did you say it was from their prepaid or their postpaid service?

the process is very different from one to the other

Why_Me

You are correct. This morning, more than 48 since activation, everything is working properly. Weird.

kcorscadden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@HALIMACS 
@Why_Me 

The actual porting process took about 10 mins to do, but it took roughly 48 hrs for ALL FUNCTIONS to start working correctly and I was coming from Koodo, so I was within the Telus network, so not sure why.  That was send/receive texts, phone calls, etc....  I was able to call out but not receive calls, same with texting.  Then roughly 48 hrs after the port, everything just worked and I was flooded with incoming texts

It shouldn't be normal, but it seems like it is with PM for the amount of ppl that complain that they can't send/receive texts/phone calls

Why_Me

I ported from Fido. I agree that this amount of time to get things up and running seems like a bit much.

That is odd to say the least @kcorscadden 

It took 3 folks I know personally (myself included a few years back), about 10 minutes.

Were you porting here from Koodo PRE-paid or Koodo POST-paid?

There is a significant difference between the two.

kcorscadden

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kcorscadden wrote:

It can take upwards of 48 hrs for your number to fully port over to PM.  If it's been 24 hrs, then it should start working some time tomorrow.  If it's not done by tomorrow night, then you'll need to contact the porting department or CS_Agent

While we don't know if this number is being ported from a landline or form another wireless carrier, a number port from another wireless carrier should never take 24 to 48 hours.  

When I ported my number from Koodo, it took roughly 36 hrs for all functions to start working.  This was within the Telus network and it still took that long.  So upwards of 48 hrs isn't out of the question if the number being ported in is coming from outside the Telus network.

Then reach out to customer support @Why_Me 

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

@kcorscadden wrote:

It can take upwards of 48 hrs for your number to fully port over to PM.  If it's been 24 hrs, then it should start working some time tomorrow.  If it's not done by tomorrow night, then you'll need to contact the porting department or CS_Agent

While we don't know if this number is being ported from a landline or form another wireless carrier, a number port from another wireless carrier should never take 24 to 48 hours.  

kcorscadden

Why_Me

Yes, I can make/receive phone calls. I also checked with previous provider and the port was successful. 

Why_Me

Did all that but still no joy.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

But first, @Why_Me , try rebooting your device, resetting network connections, and toggling airplane mode on and off.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

But can you send and receive phone calls @Why_Me ?

In order to port (move) your number from another provider, there are specific things that MUST happen:

1. is your prior provider service account still active, it must be
  2. did you leave your prior provider SIM card in your device during the activation
  3. did you receive a port authorization request from the prior provider
  4. did you reply YES, to that text
  5. did you do that within 90 minutes of the text being received

If no, try to call the number in this article below, they can re-initiate the port for you (note, the prior provider account MUST be active for this to occur, unless it's from TELUS or Koodo, in which case there are provisions that can be made)

Public Mobile/Koodo porting assistance number

Don't get caught off-guard by the reference to Koodo.  Public Mobile and Koodo share the same porting assistance group.

Need Help? Let's chat.