cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't port away

d1000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is it normal for public mobile to not release your number of you are porting out? I'm trying to port away and the carrier I signed up with said public mobile is blocking the port. They have tried four times.

I didn't know this when I signed up and now I can't leave.

What are my options? File a complaint with CRTC?

7 REPLIES 7

d1000

That's what I thought that blocking port is illegal if the account is paid up to date, but when I checked with zoomer wireless, they said it is indeed blocked and not approved. They have sent multiple port requests and I've even received sms text telling me that there is a port request, but nothing happens. Pretty much it's up to the carrier that I'm leaving (public mobile) to allow me to leave upon request, but they haven't approved. It's completely bizarre.

Now I have to give up my new account within the 15 day cooling off period just to retain my number until I can get this sorted out. Mods haveeo been completely unhelpful. Seriously getting burned this time around going with public mobile without a call center to speak to. Never thought I would be in this situation where I actually need to speak with someone rather than working with volunteers. 

This is the text I got, but nothing happened. Still a public mobile client:

Hey, it's Public Mobile. We received a request to cancel your account and transfer your phone number to another carrier. If you requested the transfer, no action is required. If you did not make this request, please immediately contact a Mod via the Community at bit.ly/2CDoc2k. Free msg.

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

According to CRTC, none of the Cellphone carriers can hold your number if the Bill is paid. Public Mobile is Prepaid so you just need to have the account active before the porting request and until it is complete. Requests for suspended accounts do not work until you recharge them.
If the account is suspended for more than 3 months then you can't get the number as the provider would have already released the number and it would be next to impossible to get it back.

@d1000 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

d1000

can a mod please contact me. your private messaging system is garbage.

d1000

everything is correct. quadupled checked and tried four times with my new carrier, but it's still getting blocked by public mobile. account is not suspended.  

thought porting should be seamless, but it's been almost week.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@d1000 wrote:

Is it normal for public mobile to not release your number of you are porting out? I'm trying to port away and the carrier I signed up with said public mobile is blocking the port. They have tried four times.

@d1000  As long as your account is active and paid up then you should be able to port out without any issue. If you account is currently is suspended then you need to make payment to re-activate you account before being able to port out.

Make sure you have the correct PM account number, name on the account and phone number and provide the correct info to your new provider.

Hope this helps!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@d1000 wrote:

Did you provide your PM account #, your PM phone number and your name on your PM account to your current provider?

Also, your PM account must active before you can port out your number.

Need Help? Let's chat.