cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make phone call

Iffat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently got a new SIM and I can't make phone calls. I did not transfer over a number and used a new one that was provided. I can use the data of my plan but can't make phone calls or receive calls. I tried putting the SIM in another phone and I was able to make phone calls on the other phone. What could be causing this? 

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iffat : If you activated using a payment card then you can use it to make a manual payment. This is a known sorta kinda trick to give the account a bit of a kick. The dollar is just so it's a nominal amount. No guarantees it'll work but it's only a dollar. It'll just stay on your account for your next renewal.

Click on the cartoon quote button lower right and muddle your way through the stupid chatbot to get to submit a ticket.

Iffat

Thanks, the message center number is as you indicated. I did not understand the next part about manually paying. Also, can you plz tell me how I can contact the moderators? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iffat : It's sounding like your SIM just did not get provisioned properly from activation.

Check the SMSC or Message Centre # in your texting app. It should be +16475800172

Then try manually paying in another dollar and restart the phone. Last thing is to use the Lost/stolen function to temporarily Suspend your account, log out, wait a minute or three, go back and Resume and restart the phone.

If none of this gets all features going then about all you can do is contact the moderators to have them re-provision the SIM.

Data working suggests the phone is not locked and in fact it is working

Try change to network to 3G only and see if phone call is working (incoming and outgoing).  

Also, which province you are at?  

Iffat

Wifi is off and data is working. I just tried sending a text message from another phone and I received the next but when I tried to text back it said 'you've entered an incorrect phone number'. It can't be incorrect because I replied to the message I received from that number. 

@Iffat wrote:

I got the phone brand new in Saudi Arabia. The phone is Huawei Y9 2019. I stopped in another country and used a SIM from thefe before Canada and I was able to make and receive calls so not sure if it is locked.

@Iffat   Huawei Y9 2019 does look like it should work:

esjliv_1-1618519896661.png

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

As @hTideGnow mentions see if you can manually change the Mobile Network Connection settings on the phone and see if that makes a difference.

When you said Data worked, you were not in a WIFI zone using WIFI were you? (just making sure...).

What about texting in and out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iffat : If dual-SIM, maybe try this SIM in the other slot and review those dual-sim settings. Turn off all mobile data.

when you put in PM SIM, did it ask you for any unlock code?  If not, then I don't think it is locked.

By just looking at the spec, it looks like it should work in PM

1. does data work on your phone?

2. Try to force your network on 3G and see if you can receive voice call and if data works

Iffat

Iffat

I got the phone brand new in Saudi Arabia. The phone is Huawei Y9 2019. I stopped in another country and used a SIM from thefe before Canada and I was able to make and receive calls so not sure if it is locked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Iffat : And did you put the SIM back in your phone? Restart? And texting in/out?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Look like your phone is locked or does not have the required bands to be used on PM

where did you get the phone from?  New phone or an used phone on another network? 

You might be able to get it unlocked if this is a phone purchased off a mobile provider.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Iffat wrote:

I recently got a new SIM and I can't make phone calls. I did not transfer over a number and used a new one that was provided. I can use the data of my plan but can't make phone calls or receive calls. I tried putting the SIM in another phone and I was able to make phone calls on the other phone. What could be causing this? 

Hello @Iffat , your phone may be locked to it's previous provider. Contact them to unlock it for you.

Just to be sure...what model of phone do you have?

Need Help? Let's chat.