cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Add an APN Setting

ReallyPissedOff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It is absolutely ridiculous that PM does not push APN settings to a device and even more assine that you lock the APN settings so that users can't add them manually.

I bought a new phone and can't use the data I'm paying for because of this nonsense.  So you need to resolve this of give me my money back as you are not providing me with the service I've paid for.

51 REPLIES 51

adronis

Had the same problem on a Wiko and that app did it for me. Thank you so much 😄

@Gwaihir71 wrote:

Hello,

I am running into the same problem where I cannot add an APN on a phone that I had with Sprint / T-Mobile. Can someone please advise what app should be downloaded to fix this? 

Thank you!!

What make and model of phone? Is the phone carrier locked?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gwaihir71 wrote:

Hello,

I am running into the same problem where I cannot add an APN on a phone that I had with Sprint / T-Mobile. Can someone please advise what app should be downloaded to fix this? 

Thank you!!

LOTR fan I see 🙂

Is this an Android?

Can you turn on data then restart the phone?

Possibly even turn off the phone and remove the SIM and restart the phone then turn it off again and re-insert the SIM and then restart again.

Gwaihir71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Thank you!!

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

A solution has been found and applied.  I was able to sideload an app that allowed me to create and apply a new APN.
For those of you claiming PM had nothing to do with this, you're wrong.  When I attempted to make changes to the APN I created with the SIM in, a message popped up stating the carrier doesn't allow APN changes.
Thanks to those of you who replied.

Rather than Blaming the Manufacturer of your Phone you are Blaming a cell phone service provider which doesn't even sell Phone. Anyways Blame away and enjoy the Savings. 

It's just as much Public's fault, because they didn't push an APN or encode one on the SIM card.

APN settings are never saved on the sim card at any carrier.  This information is stored in the phone's software. If the information is not available, the user needs to input the settings.  The problem here is that the sofware on some phones block out the ability to make any changes to such settings.

ReallyPissedOff

@chukdefatey wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

A solution has been found and applied.  I was able to sideload an app that allowed me to create and apply a new APN.
For those of you claiming PM had nothing to do with this, you're wrong.  When I attempted to make changes to the APN I created with the SIM in, a message popped up stating the carrier doesn't allow APN changes.

Rather than Blaming the Manufacturer of your Phone you are Blaming a cell phone service provider which doesn't even sell Phone. Anyways Blame away and enjoy the Savings. 

It's just as much Public's fault, because they didn't push an APN or encode one on the SIM card.

I posted a workaround to this issue in another thread. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Unable-to-configure-APN-settings/td-p...

The only other workarounds are to root your device, install modded firmware with another version of the OS, or get a different device. It is what it is, a nuisance, but no need to let it aggravate you. 

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Yup. That's the app I mentioned a while ago. Sorry I forgot to go find the link for you. Looks like you did.

PM isn't the only provider with this issue...thus the creation of the app.

Edit: @ReallyPissedOff: also good to know that the app works with A9 (Pie)

ReallyPissedOff

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Why doesn't PM just push the APN, it's pathetic that they force you to add/edit an APN to get data.

@ReallyPissedOff  Public is a low budget provider so if it costs money to auto push APN settings then they won't.

Carriers cannot push APNs to phones.  Let's stop pretending it can be done.  

Maybe push is not the correct word but I did read somewhere that it costs money to register a providers APN settings. Telus and Koodo have done so but PM hasn't.

Where do you read this garbage?   Go to GitHub and get yourself a free copy of apns-conf.xml.  It contains a listing of APNs for every carrier in the world including Public Mobile and it's free.  

BTW, it is well known that carrier phones will come with a limited list of APNs as edited by the carrier.  You should be wise enough to figure out why.  

@will13am So if that's the case why do some manufacturers like Asus do not include that file with their phones?

I know why carrier brands do it.  You will have to ask Asus.  I don't work for them nor do they ask for my advice. 

Gotta pay the board man!!

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Why doesn't PM just push the APN, it's pathetic that they force you to add/edit an APN to get data.

@ReallyPissedOff  Public is a low budget provider so if it costs money to auto push APN settings then they won't.

Maybe push is not the correct word but I did read somewhere that it costs money to register a providers APN settings. Telus and Koodo have done so but PM hasn't.

Where do you read this garbage?   Go to GitHub and get yourself a free copy of apns-conf.xml.  It contains a listing of APNs for every carrier in the world including Public Mobile and it's free.  

BTW, it is well known that carrier phones will come with a limited list of APNs as edited by the carrier.  You should be wise enough to figure out why.  

@will13am So if that's the case why do some manufacturers like Asus do not include that file with their phones?

I know why carrier brands do it.  You will have to ask Asus.  I don't work for them nor do they ask for my advice. 

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Google does not lock any APN settings period. All Google phones allow you to add APN settings.

Wrong, google is evil at times.  They did disable the add APN setting on android 8.1.  I think it was a conspiracy with carriers to limit which carriers a phone will work with.  It is an eloquent SIM lock by way of crippling mobile data.  

@will13am On my Pixel I was able to add an APN when i was running 8.1.

I didn't own a pixel device, so I can't comment on this.  I have an essential phone which lost the add APN function for a couple of months.  It was restored after I complained about it loss to the CCTS.  I equated the loss of that function to SIM locking the phone.  

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

No hidden + and no it doesn't let me edit the existing APN's.

@ReallyPissedOff  Another customer with an Asus phone posted that he was successful in adding an APN by turning Bluetooth on and  WiFioff. 

Oh yes. We would all like some corroboration on this.

Here

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Google does not lock any APN settings period. All Google phones allow you to add APN settings.

Wrong, google is evil at times.  They did disable the add APN setting on android 8.1.  I think it was a conspiracy with carriers to limit which carriers a phone will work with.  It is an eloquent SIM lock by way of crippling mobile data.  

@will13am On my Pixel I was able to add an APN when i was running 8.1.

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff  Another customer with an Asus phone posted that he was successful in adding an APN by turning Bluetooth on and  WiFioff. 

@geopublic wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Thanks saw that, tried it earlier, nothing there.

Maybe this post from a mile long 8.1 APN thread might do something for you.

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

I can add an APN with a SIM from another provider, but only get Telus and Koodo's APN when I add the PM sim.

You're going to have to also point the finger at the phone manufacturers.  This is a phone softeware issue.  I do not know if Public Mobile sims have some type of code that prevents alterations on APN settings, but it just wouldn't make any sense for that to be the case.  They'd have nothing to gain from this.

Many phones running Android 8.1 and with Public Mobile sim cards inserted do allow new APN settings to be added, even if they don't allow editting of existing APN.  Some phones do not allow it. This is an issiue that crept in with the stock release of Android 8.1.  Any of the phone maufactuers could override this restriction, and some in fact, did.

I agree the issue is Asus not Google or PM.

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

I don't believe you can edit an APN pulled from apns-conf.xml.  This is a read only file.  You can add an APN if such a feature were made available on your phone.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Somebody on another reddit thread wrote an app to be able to access the add APN screen. One would need to open some permissions and trust the app. It's not on the Play Store either. Straight download of an apk. It was made for 8.1. Not at all sure about 9.

ReallyPissedOff

Found this on ASUS. 

Can you try clicking where the + button used to be? 

Wtv forum post I found it on said the plus sign color is close to background color and will be fixed on future firmware update but that you should be able to click where + sign used to be.

Here's forum link I found it on.

https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-252762-1-1.html

Screen shot of where to click is attached for you. Hope it works...27_500_500.jpg

ReallyPissedOff

Need Help? Let's chat.