Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a long distance number but...

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi all,

Question that I cannot rememeber the answer to:

My parents just moved to Ontario. They still have a 902 (Nova Scotica) number on their cell. 

If I call them is it charged as long distance or province wide (I dont really want to test as it will chew up my long distance minutes as my parents like to talk even if a quick question). 

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

@Chaos_Scorpio

In this situation, when you call your parent's number, it is long distance for you to make the call and it is also long distance for them to answer (although there's no extra charge for your parents to answer since they have canada-wide minutes).

The fact that your parent have nation-wide minutes doesn't make them calling you a local call for them.  It is still a long distance call, but that long distance just happens to be included in their plan already.  As for when your parents call you, it never makes any difference where a call comes from when it comes to your own service for when you answer a call.

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

@Luddite thanks but that doesn't actually have a scenario for my question. 

if it did it would say:
In your home province and calling someone in your home province who does not have a local home province number = require long distance plan

Calling someone from your home province who does not have an area code within your province is long distance for you. Their situation depends on their provider and not Public Mobile. As long as you are in your home province all incoming calls are no charge.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Chaos_Scorpio

@Luddite thanks but that doesn't actually have a scenario for my question. 

if it did it would say:
In your home province and calling someone in your home province who does not have a local home province number = require long distance plan

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Chaos_Scorpio Although solved already this Knowledge Base article may be a useful reference: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis....

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

AH... that tells me everything.

Local call, no, the area code from Nova Scotia negates that.

Chaos_Scorpio

hmm guess you folk dont know I am in Ontario too...lol Where's lud when you need him lol. 

Doesnt matter what service they use. We are both in ontario (45min drive apart). 

And I do not need an alternative way to call. I have its whatsapp. I just would just like to use regular phone to do it. or call and hang up and have them call me back as they are nationwide. or have them get an ontario number 😛

Not enough info for clear answer.  Parents phones I assume are not public mobile, your location is unknown.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@will13am    @Chaos_Scorpio

Partially true however according to Public Mobile legal gargon/terms

"Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province."

Thus if he was physically in Nove Scotia it would not be a long distance call to call his parents. However since he is on Ontario IT is a long distance call. Its not always based on the area code location plays a factor - he could call Nova Scotia numbers FROM Nova Scotia (suing his Ontario number), and as a cavet .. calls to Ontario (from an Ontario #) would be long distance if he was physically in Nova Scotia.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Whether a call is treated as long distance is based on area code and not the actual proximity of the caller and recipient. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Try with Hangout or Fongo

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Chaos_Scorpio, if you are in Ontario I would think that this would be a long distance call.  I think they would need a number with an area code from Ontario for it to be in the Province wide calling.  If you are in Nova Scotia I think it would still be considered a local call.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.