cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying "air time" from Crypto.com: would it work?

jH35Fy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On Crypto.com, it says that:

You can now recharge your mobile airtime via Crypto.com Pay via our new feature - Pay Airtime! Top up your prepaid phone with crypto, and earn up to 5% cashback!

So in the app it shows my phone number and I can select PM. So if I pay for that and buy it, will the money be added to my PM account balance, or will I just lose my money because my plan isn't eligible to buy "airtime"?

See: https://blog.crypto.com/introducing-pay-airtime/

15 REPLIES 15

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jH35Fy 

Hey this is great info to learn I have a cryptocurrency account good to know if I'm desperate one day for a payment I can buy a voucher with my currency. Thanks for testing this out!

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jH35Fy 

Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience with us... all great to know!  🙂

jH35Fy

@Anonymous and @darlicious: I have added it to the voucher catalogue! Go check it out! 🙂

jH35Fy

@BlueB the transaction was completely instantaneous! No manual hands at the back at all.

jH35Fy

@darlicious well, thank you! That's correct, I was able to purchase a pm voucher with a debit from my cryptocurrency account. It couldn't be any cryptocurrency though, it had to be crypto.com's coin, CRO. The purchase price was indeed calculated by atm market value (although note that there was a high spread, of almost 17%!). And yes, the voucher was immediately redeemable.

BlueB

@jH35Fy 

Wow, this is interesting... thanks for sharing your detailed experience!  A 17% premium seems pretty high but alas, is another "valid" option!  🙂

I'm curious - how long did it take from sending crypto to receiving the voucher code?  Was it instantaneous or do you think there were some manual hands in the back?

@jH35Fy 

Well that was an interesting experiment. So if I have this correct you were able to purchase a pm voucher with a debit from your crypto currency account? Could it be any crypto currency ? The purchase price is calculated by atm market value?

Please add it to the voucher catalogue....in a pinch its an altetnative method of payment Was the voucher immediately redeemable?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jH35Fy : Nothing you need to worry about. It was really a hint hint to another regular member that started that thread.

Over time, some regulars have made reference posts. Some time ago, I saw an opening to write one about the 611 service.

jH35Fy

What's the voucher catalogue? Would you be so kind as to refer me to a link? xD While there, what do you mean, your 611 reference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jH35Fy : Great testing! Nice outcome. Thanks for reporting your findings. This could be added to the "Voucher Catalogue" collection. I've updated my 611 reference.

jH35Fy

Good question @softech, but I have really no idea!

So, basically Crypto.com is a retailer selling PM Voucher?

If so, do you think it is a PM  authorized reseller? or just Crypto.com got it from somewhere  and reselling?  Like someone got it from a store and reselling at ebay?

jH35Fy

Hi all, so I have finally decided to go ahead and make the purchase for one month. Here are the results:

Pre-purchase:

pre.PNG

Post-purchase:

post.PNG

Pre-voucher

voucher payment.png

Post-voucher 

voucher payment done.png

That being said, the spread on this transaction was 16.8%, meaning it costs me 30$ worth of CRO rather than 25$. Very uneconomical lol, but I had to try it.

BlueB

Very interesting to see alternative methods of, well, everything, including phone top-up!  Indeed, very interested in knowing whether this actually works or not either.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jH35Fy : My bet would be that they would text or email you a voucher code. Try it with the smallest amount possible. We'd all like to know.

Need Help? Let's chat.