cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place to purchase payment vouchers (in Ontario) ?

AdrianG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I had issues with my credit card recently so I'm looking to purchase some payment vouchers.  Where could I get them (in and around the GTA)?

Thanks!

PS I sent an email to @CS_Agent a few hours ago about my account... hoping I can get a response soon 🙂  The team must be super busy today!

10 REPLIES 10

@will13am wrote:

For best price, Canadian Tire gas bar, paying with gift cards purchased at 10% discount.  For convenience, recharge.com. 

@will13am is that a regular thing at CT, the 10% discount on gift cards?!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Acekiller wrote:

Canadian tire is probably your best bet.  However, a lot of times the staff won't actually know they carry it. Just ask them to go to the machine and scroll through and look for PM.

So, CT does not sell the gift card style ready made PM vouchers.  The voucher number is printed on the receipt. Am I correct?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

For best price, Canadian Tire gas bar, paying with gift cards purchased at 10% discount.  For convenience, recharge.com. 

@daredogg If you dont mind going through so many just to save some cents, do it.  

Those foreign exchange rate is going to cost, and the extra fee.

Side question : When did rogers stop that no forex exchange fee feature?

Yeah, I know @srlawren about the extra conversion rates for currency exchange. Awhile back, that's why I had this credit card from Rogers because it charged no extra fees on currency exchange. I used it for all my US charges, and it ended up saving me a bit. It was pretty sweet until they discontinued that feature. I cancelled the card! Robot Happy

For Recharge.com, they charge you in the currency you specify, but what I meant was that it's based off of Euros, so the prices fluctuate daily. I ended up paying $44.19 and received $40 credit. There were no additional fees with PayPal because I got billed in CAD. You're right though, if they tacked on a 2.5% currency exchange fee, using this service would cost you more. I ended up saving $1.01, so I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle?!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@daredogg wrote:

One other thing to note... they're charging you in Euros converted to Canadian dollars. That means the prices you see listed change daily. I was going to buy a voucher last Friday, and waited to Tuesday, paying an extra $0.50.

@daredogg with this being the case, make sure you check into your payment method to see what they charge for international currency conversion.  For example, most credit cards charge 2.5% fee on top of the going rate, which could quickly eat up any tax savings (when added to the 10% consumption tax the site charges you).  I don't know about PayPal or your bank (depending where the exchange happens, probably by PayPal and I'd be willing to bet they charge a fee too).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

One of the oracles here @NDesai posted in another thread about Recharge.com that allows you to purchase PM payment vouchers at a discounted rate. I tried it out yesterday, and it worked really smoothly. You end up getting an email with a code within minutes. Best part is that I could use PayPal to withdraw from my bank account instead of using a credit card.

So what's the catch?!  From what a few of us figured out, is that they don't charge you taxes, but they do charge you a 10% consumption tax. In my case, living in Ontario, I end up saving 3% which isn't a lot... but it's something. Robot Happy

One other thing to note... they're charging you in Euros converted to Canadian dollars. That means the prices you see listed change daily. I was going to buy a voucher last Friday, and waited to Tuesday, paying an extra $0.50.

https://www.recharge.com/en/canada/public-mobile-top-up

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Canadian tire is probably your best bet.  However, a lot of times the staff won't actually know they carry it. Just ask them to go to the machine and scroll through and look for PM.

AdrianG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good to know!  Thanks @Anonymous 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just about anywhere that sells gift cards and such. You would probably have to ask for the Public Mobile voucher as you probably won't see it on display on their rack.

Need Help? Let's chat.