cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 'dumb' phone? (flip phone/feature phone)

nobrainleft
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent brick/candybar/dumb/feature/flip phone that works w PM? They seem to be a little hard to find.

18 REPLIES 18

@nobrainleft 

@nobrainleft wrote:

Thanks, coleeeeee17,

I was looking for a phone without browsing capabilities (and the Maxwest Uno M6 3G seems to be fitting the bill). It's nice to know what the options are.

Be careful choosing a maxwest phone. There have been several reports of a major software problem with these phones rendering them useless. Unless this issue has been addressed by the manufacturer I would stay away from these phones.

@nobrainleft the fact that it says 3g means it can browse the internet, but has no graphics processor 

. Guess you can check your email with it. It's compatible with PM . You can use it for talk and text.  Just enable data to receive mms messages.

@nobrainleft wrote:

Thanks, coleeeeee17,

I was looking for a phone without browsing capabilities (and the Maxwest Uno M6 3G seems to be fitting the bill). It's nice to know what the options are.

nobrainleft

Thanks, coleeeeee17,

coleeeeee17

Alcatel 4044V It can do basic web browsing and text messaging. For me, if I  use it gently the battery can last a long weekend or the better part of a week. This phone can use 4G LTE data and I still get service with WCDMA mode. Reception is about equal to my Motorola Moto G5.  

@Jeanie-beanie  The easiest way is to check the specs of the phone to public mobiles bands.

As follows:

Public Mobile:

4G:
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
B12 (700)
B13 (700)
3G:
B2 (1900)
B5 (850)
2G: Not available

Jeanie-beanie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just bought my parents an Easyfone. It comes in flip or not. $90 for the flip and $100 for the not. They are Bare bones but the $100 one comes with gps tracking via app which may also be good parents who want to track their children's locations. I know I gave my kids cellphones so I can contact them at a moments notice. 

Another thread says it works on Public but it's not on the list. I've not yet received the phone nor SIM card yet so I can't say for sure.

nobrainleft

price is right...why not. Plus it's not a magnet for thieves.

Hadn't even thought of that! I just know the way my kids break things...

🙂

@nobrainleft  As long as it works that's what's important. Perhaps the older phones aren't getting any updates that fix issues in a timely manner. If it fits your needs and the price is right...why not. Plus it's not a magnet for thieves.

nobrainleft

@darlicious wrote:

@nobrainleft wrote:

I was looking for a phone without a browser.

(The Maxwest Uno M6 3G from Staples was cheap - on sale for $40 - and seems to be fitting the bill.)

There's a Maxwest post about the software not supporting calls...ill find it. Test your SIM in it before buying.

Interestingly, it didn't appear to be working when I 'borrowed' a sim from another phone. But when I put a new one in it worked fine. (I have no idea why.)

@nobrainleft wrote:

(The Maxwest Uno M6 3G from Staples was cheap - on sale for $40 - and seems to be fitting the bill.)

There's a Maxwest post about the software not supporting calls...ill find it. Test your SIM in it before buying.

nobrainleft

nobrainleft

Update: So I was a little nervous reading that post about Maxwest phones, but I had already ordered the one from Staples so decided to give it a try. At first, it seemed like it wasn't working (showed a 'no sim' message) but then the message changed to 'no service' or 911 only or something. (My son was playing around with it - restarting it, etc.) We decided to wait until the new sim card arrived before returning the phone (we had just been trying it with the pm sim from another phone). When we put in the new sim card and activated it, it's working fine. So I'm not sure what the 'glitch' is, or whether it applies to a different model, or what, but the Maxwest Uno M6 3G 1.8" Unlocked Phone from Staples ($50; on sale for $40) seems to be doing the trick.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@nobrainleft wrote:

I've just ordered a Maxwest Uno M6 3G from Staples -

@darlicious wrote:

@nobrainleft there was a post just after cyber Monday about  Maxwest phones....that they have a software glitch that does not allow them to connect to a cellular network.

@nobrainleft see here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Don-t-buy-maxwest-phones-such-as-nitr...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@nobrainleft  Key word: if it doesn't work....there was a post just after cyber Monday about  Maxwest phones....that they have a software glitch that does not allow them to connect to a cellular network. Under retail...london drugs

Refer to:

Difference between caring/uncaring sales staff. by @TheGx 

nobrainleft

Even phones that were available in 2018 don't seem to be easily found now.

(And phones that are recommended for 2019 on various tech website are hard to find in Canada too.)

I've just ordered a Maxwest Uno M6 3G from Staples - it's on sale for $40. There are no reviews on it, and I've never heard of the brand, but I figure I can return it easily if it doesn't work.

@nobrainleft wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent brick/candybar/dumb/feature/flip phone that works w PM? They seem to be a little hard to find.

Decent depends on what you're trying to do with it and what's important to you.  The reason that they're hard to find is that there is very little demand for phones like this, and manufactuers often don't want to spend money producing these. Sometimes, there are prepaid phones in Telus packaging that would fit this criteria. Some of these devices will be very old models, so be careful to get one that is 3g-network capable on 850/1900MHz.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I have an alcatel that works just fine...run about $79.

Need Help? Let's chat.