cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beeping During Calls?

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've asked about this in the past, thinking maybe it was a fluke with my phone. It never was resolved.

But now a relative of mine has switched over to PM, and I was with them while they were talking on speaker phone. Twice within their several minute conversation, a short beep sound happens during the call. The same sound as if someone were pressing a number on the dialpad while on the call. This happens to me during every single phone call, and now I've realized it's not just me. And no, it's not due to me accidentally pressing any buttons while on the call, nor do I believe the person on the other side is doing so. It happens too consistently for this to be the case.

It's quite annoying, and I have no idea why this happens.

17 REPLIES 17

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@luke11992 wrote:

The same sound as if someone were pressing a number on the dialpad while on the call.

What you may be experiencing is called "Talk-off" - (False DTMF detection). It is caused when the human voice is mistakenly detected as a DTMF tone, and the system transmits a quarter-second of that DTMF tone instead of the callers voice. I've seen this happen more often with VoIP services that use an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) - most common in digital home-phone type services...

• It can happen at any time after the start of the call
  • If triggered from the local end, it will happen when the user is speaking
  • Certain destinations may be much more susceptible to this fault than others
  • Calling/called parties may sometimes hear a DTMF tone during speech
  • Certain voices are more susceptible than others – tends to happen more with female voices than male

@luke11992 

Did you try my earlier recommendation?

"Insert YOUR Sim card into someone else's phone (NOT the other person who you say this is also happening to).

Make a call with their phone with your Sim in it (again, don't call the other person)

Do you still hear the beep?"

luke11992

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I get that on my home phone. It is because we have 25 inbound channels. It stopped when I found out that I could reduce inbound channels to 1. 

Does Public Mobile have multiple inbound channels and if yes, can they be reduced to 1 only?

To be honest, I've never heard of this, so I'm not sure if PM has multiple channels or not. I'll look into this, thanks.

luke11992

@kb_mv wrote:

@luke11992 wrote:

No, when I have another incoming call, I get a separate tone which I recognize. This is a strange unrelated beep, that seems to be at random, once every few minutes during the call.

@luke11992 Though of little consolation, google shows this issue going back years on many other networks like AT&T, Sprint etc, all with no resolution that my quick peruse could find.

Interesting, thanks for that info.

I get that on my home phone. It is because we have 25 inbound channels. It stopped when I found out that I could reduce inbound channels to 1. 

Does Public Mobile have multiple inbound channels and if yes, can they be reduced to 1 only?

@luke11992 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@luke11992   So when that happens you don't notice there was another number in your phone log trying to call you? 

I've only experienced the beeping when another caller is trying to call me when my line is already engaged in another call.

No, when I have another incoming call, I get a separate tone which I recognize. This is a strange unrelated beep, that seems to be at random, once every few minutes during the call.

@luke11992   That does seems to be a different issue for you and if you've ruled out that your phone isn't the issue, you may need to contact moderators to take a look at your account, although I'm not entirely sure if they will be able to resolve this for you either. 

@luke11992 wrote:

@luke11992 Though of little consolation, google shows this issue going back years on many other networks like AT&T, Sprint etc, all with no resolution that my quick peruse could find.

luke11992

@dabr wrote:

@luke11992   So when that happens you don't notice there was another number in your phone log trying to call you? 

I've only experienced the beeping when another caller is trying to call me when my line is already engaged in another call.

@luke11992 wrote:

@dabr @HALIMACS 

It's not the tone of another call coming in, nor is it a notification. It's the same beep sound as if someone is messing with numbers on the dialpad. It happens on literally every call. And not just with my phone, but 2 others so far as well. Very strange that no one else has been having this experience.

sbk1441
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Perhaps try connecting to a Bluetooth device such as a car stereo or speaker. If the beeping doesn’t exist you know it’s you’re phone. 

OK @luke11992 try this.

Insert YOUR Sim card into someone else's phone (NOT the other person who you say this is also happening to).

Make a call with their phone with your Sim in it (again, don't call the other person)

Do you still hear the beep?

luke11992

@britmay2 wrote:

Do you happen to have an older phone? I found when I had my old motorolla it would do the same thing. I ended up replacing it with a newer phone and have not had the issue since. I wish you the very best in finding an appropriate solution.

I suppose my phone is old, it's an iPhone 6s. However my relative(s) that have also ported to PM have a 3 year old phone, and a phone model that was released within the year.

luke11992

@dabr @HALIMACS 

It's not the tone of another call coming in, nor is it a notification. It's the same beep sound as if someone is messing with numbers on the dialpad. It happens on literally every call. And not just with my phone, but 2 others so far as well. Very strange that no one else has been having this experience.

britmay2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do you happen to have an older phone? I found when I had my old motorolla it would do the same thing. I ended up replacing it with a newer phone and have not had the issue since. I wish you the very best in finding an appropriate solution.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@luke11992 wrote:

I've asked about this in the past, thinking maybe it was a fluke with my phone. It never was resolved.

But now a relative of mine has switched over to PM, and I was with them while they were talking on speaker phone. Twice within their several minute conversation, a short beep sound happens during the call. The same sound as if someone were pressing a number on the dialpad while on the call. This happens to me during every single phone call, and now I've realized it's not just me. And no, it's not due to me accidentally pressing any buttons while on the call, nor do I believe the person on the other side is doing so. It happens too consistently for this to be the case.

@luke11992 I have 2 accounts with PM, one going back 20 months or so and the only time i hear a beep during a call is the call waiting tone when someone else calls me. I'm interested to hear what some of our more tech savy people have to say.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@luke11992 wrote:

@luke11992   That usually happens if there's another caller trying to call you.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Interesting @luke11992 

I'd recommend whomever is hearing the beeps try completely silencing their phone, then make another call to see if it's still audible.

Sounds to me like a notification is being received during calls?

Oh, and try calling someone OTHER than the person whose other phone is also doing this...

Need Help? Let's chat.