cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying Beeping?

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Anyone else's phone beeping when using PM talk or voicemail? It sounds like the battery low beep you get on a wireless land line handset and is really annoying.
16 REPLIES 16

I'm wondering if it happens everywhere, or just in a small area / location.  Maybe it's not coming from the phone?

Could you have a weak battery in a smoke detector near by, a baby monitor or even your land line cordless phone?

I know it sounds silly, but you'd laugh at some of the things I hear in my apartment when I'm not expecting it.

sportymi

strange indeed... guess we'll never know what it was, the unsolved mystery of beeping sounds... Smiley Tongue

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

glad to hear! lol strange!

KK

Just an update.....after a series of annoying calls, the issue vanished.  🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KK this is very strange indeed.  If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you send a private message to one of the moderators with details of what you are hearing in hopes that one of them can help troubleshoot tis further.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ionut

Now it's coming the question. Can you access your Voicemail?

The "beeping sound" it's from "busy" line. usually when you cannot make a call it's beep. I haven't heard of that sound since 2005 🙂

Something's gone wrong with the connection process so that it doesn't complete. It's probably not even getting to the B/C-party's carrier's gateway. Could be between your phone and the cell, the cell and the backhaul, the point of ingress to carrier's core, ...

Or it might just be something funny 🙂

KK
I am using LG G4. Recent change was to switch to promo. Nothing significant.

KK
I don't have a minute counter on. I don't know about signaling between boundaries - I live on outskirts of town so not impossible......except beeping never happened before....how would it get turned on.

KK
One other user mentioned having this issue as well within the PM community. What I can say is the beeps are not for incoming calls. They only began occuring after I switched to PM. I was previously with Koodo, so it is not due to phone or network change. It is multiple beeps.

srlawren

@KK like the other responders, I have never experienced this with PM, in about 15 months as a customer.  Does it happen one very call?  Is it at random times, or is there a pattern or regular interval between the beeps?  Is it a single beep at a time or multiple beeps?  This is really odd.

Other responders have mentioned some things that could be responsible, and I can't think of anything else that might be the cause.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ChopstickHero
Do you have some kind of minute counter turned on?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@KK

The beep tones aren't being sent by Public Mobile.  Unless perhaps they're call alerts, indicating you have other incoming call(s) while you're already in an active call.

They sounds are probably caused by your device.  Something somewhere in the settings.  Or a misconfigured/misbehaving app.

I allow my device to beep during calls whenever there's a signal hand-off between towers, because I often move between fringe service areas so I like to know where the "boundaries" are between them in case I drop calls.  But I can choose to toggle this option in settings.

What device do you have?

It can be hard to imagine the type of beeping being discussed without hearing the sound for ourselves.

As discussed earlier, it could be a call timer alert from the phone. I remember some old phones used to beep at exactly 1 minute into each new phone call.

Also, when being placed on hold, some networks (determined by the other caller's network) play back an audible tone every seconds to tell you that the call is still connected.

Is it a call waiting beep from someone trying to call you while you are already in  another voice call?

Some phones have apps installed that can record a phone call.  Sometimes, those programs will beep every 5 seconds to tell everyone involved in the call that it is being recorded.

I realize that I'm proabbly way off base with the above.  They're just guesses.

Cypm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

me either 

imm1304

Hey @KK,

I have never heard such beeps during calls or while accessing voicemails in the 17 months I have been with PM.  

Which phone are you using?  Any recent changes/updates?  

Some phone/dialer apps have options to enable various beeps and minute-counter etc in settings.  

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Never heard of that, weird, i don't hear it.

Need Help? Let's chat.