cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating my sim card

Vbdesrau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I try to activate my new SIM card it asks for alternate number. I’m a new subscriber and know no one who is a valid mobile subscriber. What number should I put here? I still have my home phone number and it was not accepted. I still have my cell number but it wasn’t accepted. I want to port my home phone number. Please help me at least activate my SIM card.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

The alernate phone number can be anything.  As stated earlier, it's only supposed to be a way for Public Mobile to contact you if there is a number portability problem, although they won't contact you even if there is (at least not very likely to).

Unfortunately, this puts you in a difficult situation because Public Mobile for some reason, has a bad habbit or porting the wrong phone number in (as in the alternate phone number).  So yes, use a friend's phone number but talk to the firend first, and be fully be prepared to jump through all necessary hoops IF this mistake happens to fix things for your friend.  It's not supposed to happen because the number transfer is supposed to fail because of an account information mismatch (for your friend's phone number used as the alternate), but we've a few times about strange things happening with that data field.  Keep in mind, I believe this mistake to be a rare occurance, so it probably won't be an issue.

Just for some clarification, PM has contacted me on my alternate number for an issue.  I don't think PM can port in your Alternate number unless you also give the account number of that line.  I know it has happened but I think that is user error because if the account number doesn't match that of the number being ported, the port does not proceed.

You're right.  It's not supposed to happen without matching account info.  I'm just going by stories that I've read about here.  Then again, Public Mobile isn't supposed to try to port the wrong phone number either.  For those cases, I originally thought that people were simply typing the nunbers in the wrong places, but then we started seeing more customers who say the same thing happened.

As for Public Mobile calling customers, I know that it does happen, but i would say that appears to be pretty rare.

@computergeek541 wrote:

The alernate phone number can be anything.  As stated earlier, it's only supposed to be a way for Public Mobile to contact you if there is a number portability problem, although they won't contact you even if there is (at least not very likely to).

Unfortunately, this puts you in a difficult situation because Public Mobile for some reason, has a bad habbit or porting the wrong phone number in (as in the alternate phone number).  So yes, use a friend's phone number but talk to the firend first, and be fully be prepared to jump through all necessary hoops IF this mistake happens to fix things for your friend.  It's not supposed to happen because the number transfer is supposed to fail because of an account information mismatch (for your friend's phone number used as the alternate), but we've a few times about strange things happening with that data field.  Keep in mind, I believe this mistake to be a rare occurance, so it probably won't be an issue.

Just for some clarification, PM has contacted me on my alternate number for an issue.  I don't think PM can port in your Alternate number unless you also give the account number of that line.  I know it has happened but I think that is user error because if the account number doesn't match that of the number being ported, the port does not proceed.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Vbdesrau
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No it’s the alternate cover.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Vbdesrau wrote:

When I try to activate my new SIM card it asks for alternate number. I’m a new subscriber and know no one who is a valid mobile subscriber. What number should I put here? I still have my home phone number and it was not accepted. I still have my cell number but it wasn’t accepted. I want to port my home phone number. Please help me at least activate my SIM card.

Thank you.

Are you confusing the alternate number with the referral number?

The referral number to get your bonus credits ($25) has to be a valid subscriber but the alternate number is just for contacting you from telus if there is a problem with number porting but can be from any subscriber even a free voip number.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Vbdesrau wrote:

Thank you.

An alternate number is so they can contact you if they need to during hte porting process it can be your landline or a spouse or friends number maybe a room mate

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.