cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating data connection

april_h30
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone! 

I am excited to be part of the Public Mobile community! The reason I finally joined is I was tired of paying expensive phone bills that did not provide much benefits.

I have 3 questions:

- I followed the instructions on how to set up the access point to receive the Public Mobile data connection. However, when I click on Save, the information disappears. Does mean I have the connection? I notice the data connection is slower compared to the 4G connection with my old mobile service provider.

Now that my SIM card is activated online, does it have to be inserted into the phone? 

Finally, as I was 3 days into my plan with my old service provider, will they send me a bill with a prorated amount? As of 20 December, I now own my phone.

Thank you all for your help,

April

7 REPLIES 7

april_h30

Thank you! This solved my issues!

april_h30

Thank you for your help,

The issues I was having was due to not having the SIM card in my phone. I was srill connected to my old mobile service provider.

Thank you again!

April

rooster

Dear April,

Welcome to the Public Mobile familly.

Indeed, you must insert the SIM card into your phone to use the service.

As for your old provider, yes they will charge a pro-rated amount for the 3 days.

Try downloading stuff and let us know about the data speed? 

You're welcome and I hope you like Public Mobile as much as we do.

Happy holidays!

Best,

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@april_h30 wrote:

Now that my SIM card is activated online, does it have to be inserted into the phone? 

Yes, of course - it won't do any good unless it's in the phone!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@april_h30 wrote:

Hello everyone! 

I am excited to be part of the Public Mobile community! The reason I finally joined is I was tired of paying expensive phone bills that did not provide much benefits.

I have 3 questions:

- I followed the instructions on how to set up the access point to receive the Public Mobile data connection. However, when I click on Save, the information disappears. Does mean I have the connection? I notice the data connection is slower compared to the 4G connection with my old mobile service provider.

Finally, as I was 3 days into my plan with my old service provider, will they send me a bill with a prorated amount? As of 20 December, I now own my phone.

Thank you all for your help,

April

Welcome to Public Mobile.

1 - Yes you need to put sim in your phone and restart it. 

2- Public Mobile throttles the internet speed to 3MB 

3- You would have to contact your old provider to find out how your last bill will work.

If internet problems check the APN Settings on your phone.

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Leave blank

Port: Leave blank

Username: Leave blank

Password: Leave blank

Server: Leave blank

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Leave blank

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

Yes sim card needs to be in phone. Put in and restart phone.

Internet speed although it's 4g Public Mobile throttles it to 3md.

If internet is not working check the APN settings.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Don't forget to claim your free holiday gifts. Link below for 1gb data and 400 international calling minutes.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Free-Gifts-for-All-During-our-More-is-M...

Also don't forget to try your luck winning $100 Amazon gift card.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Win-a-100-Amazon-gift-card-with-our-Mor...

Happy Holidays!

bkuepfer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi April, 

As long as your data is turned on in your phone settings it should be good to go, this has been my experience anyways. 

As for speeds, I was with Koodo previously and I have found that data speeds have been the same if not faster with Public Mobile. This could be a result of location perhabs? 

You will receive a prorated amount as long as you have cancelled your account at your old provider. If you transfered your old number it should have cancelled your old account. 

Hope this helps! 

Need Help? Let's chat.