cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a new account

Geoffrey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Im looking to activate a new account for my son with just data. Is it possible to set up a reccurring data plan or a pay as you go data "add on". Or do I have to sign up for a voice and text plan as well?

Thanks in Advance

7 REPLIES 7

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I’m wondering what plan you would choose, as data only remade plans are somewhat expensive for a tiny amount of data, vs a larger amount of data.

If you look through the plan builder, picking a 30 day plan, the 6.5 GB at throttled speed is $50, the full speed for 5 GB is $62.  90 day options are priced slightly lower for 3X the data over the entire 90 day period.

If you’re In a Freedom Mobile area, they have a Home Data plan that includes some phone and sms varying in price when in or out of zone, but it’s cheaper than what is here at Public Mobile.

Geoffrey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks! 

I currently have a plan for myself and im only looking for data for my son specifically to add the find friends app to his phone. Im assuming this will not use excessive amounts of data. But everything else will use wifi. This is why I didnt want to spend the money on voice and text if its not necessary.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Geoffrey

Choose the data plan wisely to cover the monthly usage because PM data add-on is expensive .- $30/1GB data.

- $10/200MB data

Although add-on has no expiry date.  Any unused data will be rolled over to next 30 days period until is completely used.

@popping pricier than plan data, but still significantly cheaper than the $10/100MB (quivalent to approx ONE HUNDRED Canadian Smackers per GB) that the big 3 and their 2nd tier brands are charging these days for data overages.....

I agree.  That is the reason why I told him to select the PM plan wisely to cover the monthly usage.  It will be even cheaper using data from a plan than using data from an add-on.

srlawren

@popping wrote:

@Geoffrey

Choose the data plan wisely to cover the monthly usage because PM data add-on is expensive .- $30/1GB data.

- $10/200MB data

Although add-on has no expiry date.  Any unused data will be rolled over to next 30 days period until is completely used.

@popping pricier than plan data, but still significantly cheaper than the $10/100MB (quivalent to approx ONE HUNDRED Canadian Smackers per GB) that the big 3 and their 2nd tier brands are charging these days for data overages.....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@Geoffrey

- $10/200MB data

mimmo

@Geoffrey there are other cheaper options for data. If you have a Koodo account 15$ for 3gb fido also has one and people have been able to get that plan w/o being fido customers by going to Fido resellers or best buy Walmart etc..  officially though you are supposed to have a fido account to get the data only plan.

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Yes, data only is definitely possible. Check out the create-your-own plan option for prices.

Need Help? Let's chat.