cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6GB Plus 200MB add-on

Yettiphant
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So, I've been a public customer for a little over a month and I've noticed quite the difference between prepaid and postpaid. I first signed up for the $30 plan with 1gb of data with autopay, until I noticed the $50 plan had 8GB, Crazy right! So I jumped over to that and was perfect. Now, I ran out of data 9 days before my renewal date, so I added the 200mb of data. Just 4 days later the 200mb "ran out" on my phone. I checked my self-serve to see if I had actually ran out of data and it said "167mb remaining" or something like that. So I sent a message to the mod team. By the time the mod team responded, I decided that I waited long enough for a reply, just purchase the new plan since its only 4 days away from renewal anyway.

So on April 1st, I renewed with a new "modified" plan which was the Can & US calling, international text and 6gb of 4g data. By April 5th, my phone was asking me to sign into the Public Mobile network. So I signed into my self serve and cannot for the life of me view my data usage online. I sent a message to the mod team and they advise that I've used 6gb of data in 4 days. They advised I spend the $10 for the 200mb of data so thats what I went and did at 5:50ish pm ATL. Here at 9PM ATL my phone is now showing "Sign into Public Mobile". I've disabled multiple apps and uninstalled multiple apps. I only have Facebook and instagram that require data where as other apps that require it aren't permitted to use mobile data. So in total this month alone, since the start of this month, I've spent $82 on service and haven't really received the service I signed up for.

What support is out there for customers that don't have access to seeing what their usage is like?

2 REPLIES 2

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@YettiphantIf you were able to use 8GB in 21 days then it's not surprising 200MB ran out quickly. You should change your settings so you only use data when wifi is unavailable and make sure all updates/installations/ect only happen while on wifi. And get a data monitoring app so you can easily keep track of what apps are using the most.
You did get the service you paid for, it's not Public Mobiles fault that you used all the data you bought.
If you want to see your data usage try the Chrome browser in incognito mode, go into your account and beside My Data & Addons click View My Usage then near the top click Usage History.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Yettiphant wrote:

So, I've been a public customer for a little over a month and I've noticed quite the difference between prepaid and postpaid. I first signed up for the $30 plan with 1gb of data with autopay, until I noticed the $50 plan had 8GB, Crazy right! So I jumped over to that and was perfect. Now, I ran out of data 9 days before my renewal date, so I added the 200mb of data. Just 4 days later the 200mb "ran out" on my phone. I checked my self-serve to see if I had actually ran out of data and it said "167mb remaining" or something like that. So I sent a message to the mod team. By the time the mod team responded, I decided that I waited long enough for a reply, just purchase the new plan since its only 4 days away from renewal anyway.

So on April 1st, I renewed with a new "modified" plan which was the Can & US calling, international text and 6gb of 4g data. By April 5th, my phone was asking me to sign into the Public Mobile network. So I signed into my self serve and cannot for the life of me view my data usage online. I sent a message to the mod team and they advise that I've used 6gb of data in 4 days. They advised I spend the $10 for the 200mb of data so thats what I went and did at 5:50ish pm ATL. Here at 9PM ATL my phone is now showing "Sign into Public Mobile". I've disabled multiple apps and uninstalled multiple apps. I only have Facebook and instagram that require data where as other apps that require it aren't permitted to use mobile data. So in total this month alone, since the start of this month, I've spent $82 on service and haven't really received the service I signed up for.

What support is out there for customers that don't have access to seeing what their usage is like?

@Yettiphant  When you say a difference between postpaid / prepaid, you are comparing public mobile to a different company? Because public mobile ONLY has prepaid.

You can use your phone's built in app to monitor your data usage. Netflix uses 1gb per hour and if you put it in HD it uses 1gb in 20 minutes. 1 game update can use up your entire data plan. In terms of “content” 1GB is almost 0 these days. Where my internet is unlimited, I typically use between 1000gb and 4500gb monthly.

But its best to ask your phone. Go into settings and data usage and look at what app(s) were using it.Just because "you" are sleeping, doesn't mean your phone is. Maybe your map was updating. Maybe facebook was doing something, maybe the app store was installing the new version of samsung pay or uber, maybe your pictures were being backed up to the cloud, calender sync, contact backup, etc or some other app (even if you don't use it, or even know that its installed). Maybe it was a malicious app stealing your identity.

I don’t mean this to be rude but you have to take responsibility for your phone or accept that it will do anything it wants without you giving it permission while you are sleeping. Just disabling a few apps is not enough. Maybe one day it will use 1000mb the next day it will use 0. Many things that use data on the phone are not regularly scheduled. Get a firewall. Disable background data for apps that you don't want to access. Uninstall apps that you don't use. Root your phone, Install a custom operating system. Disable auto-updates, etc

It's definitly tough sometimes being at public mobile, but if you are willing to put in the effort and send multiple messages to the moderator team things will work out in the end and errors will be corrected

Need Help? Let's chat.