cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G vs. 4G plans

vicki41
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a couple of questions about the promotional text re: switching to the 4G plans.

My family has the following plans:

Me: $35 - 3G plan with 3GB of data

17 year old: $35 - 3G plan with 3GB of data + 2GB for life of plan

16 year old: $15 - 3G plan with 250 MB of data

We all get rewards (loyalty/autopay/referral) applied (and I have no desire to switch to the Points plan). If I switched us all to the $40 - 5GB @ 4G, mine and my oldest's account would really only go up $5/month in total. My youngest's would obviously go up more but he's out of the house more now so a data increase is his future regardless. Personally, I don't truly need the extra data but I figure a 2GB increase for an additional $5/month is a pretty good deal. 

My questions are:

1. Is the difference between 3G and 4G really that noticeable that it would be worth it?

2. I noticed on the main page the $40 4G plan's original price of $44.50 is crossed out and it's now $40. Does anyone know if this is just a limited time promotion? I don't really need to switch my youngest right not but don't want to miss out if it's a promotion.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

vicki41
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. Yes, he would lose that extra 2GB bonus if I switched him because I'd be changing plans but with the $40 4G plan, he'd still be getting 5GB so same/same ... just faster and for $5 more. Having said that, he hasn't complained about the 3G so for now and he's none the wiser about the 4G upgrade. I think he's going to stay put on the 3G plan. 🙂

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@vicki41 I'm on the same $35 3 + 2 GB plan as one of your teens, I decided I wanted faster 4G speeds and for an additional $5 more per month, why not? Sure, I may lose the promo 2 GB but I gain faster speeds for the same 5 GB bucket of data. And switching plans on PM is heck of a lot easier than dealing with switching providers and the hoops to jump through aren't worth it. (i.e. $50 Connection fee, time limited discounts like 12 months on a cheap rate before they jack up the price, calling loyalty/retention dept, etc.)

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@vicki41 

My questions are:

1. Is the difference between 3G and 4G really that noticeable that it would be worth it?

2. I noticed on the main page the $40 4G plan's original price of $44.50 is crossed out and it's now $40. Does anyone know if this is just a limited time promotion? I don't really need to switch my youngest right not but don't want to miss out if it's a promotion.

1. Speed is the difference. But are the 3G plans really 3G or throttled down LTE? Faster data would mean less usage time wise, I assume....so better value as well??  So 4G is a good choice. I recently read that the "sunset" on 3G for Telus, Bell and Rogers is Dec 2025 and PM is remaining tight lipped on upgrading 3G plans. Maybe don't jump on upgrading all 3 plans...if you don't need the extra data....why spend $5 more. Look at your total mobile costs. 

2. From what is being said here, all the newly posted prices are NOT promotional  and the plan reductions are due to going all online and no retailers selling SIMs (other than corporate Telus or Koodo stores) or setting up accounts.  Retailers are still selling top ups and vouchers but the list you see here may not be up to date as it appears that Walmart is hit and miss. 

As mentioned some perks that you may have may NOT carry forward when you choose a new plan. Good choice to stay on $ rewards. Your rewards are attached to you account not your plan....so all should be good there.  

@vicki41 wrote:

I have a couple of questions about the promotional text re: switching to the 4G plans.

My family has the following plans:

Me: $35 - 3G plan with 3GB of data

17 year old: $35 - 3G plan with 3GB of data + 2GB for life of plan

16 year old: $15 - 3G plan with 250 MB of data

We all get rewards (loyalty/autopay/referral) applied (and I have no desire to switch to the Points plan). If I switched us all to the $40 - 5GB @ 4G, mine and my oldest's account would really only go up $5/month in total. My youngest's would obviously go up more but he's out of the house more now so a data increase is his future regardless. Personally, I don't truly need the extra data but I figure a 2GB increase for an additional $5/month is a pretty good deal. 

My questions are:

I find that the difference in speed is very noticeable although I will admit that most people could easily settle for 3Mbps download speeds for basic web browsing.  My opinion is this:  Even if you don't need 5GB, the 4g plans are a better product. As for the crossed out $44.50 price, the $40 plan has never been $44.50. It's a brand new plan.  I have communicated with Public Mobile my opinion that the crossed out $44.50 makes it look as if Public Mobile wants to raise the price at a later time, but the current $40 plan appears to be an ongoing offer.  As with any of the plans, Public Mobile could give notice of a price increase to existing customers, but that doesn't mean that they will.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

1. You will have to experience speed difference to make your own informed decision. Personally, I am happy with 3G speed as I do not play network intensive games nor watch movies. Extra speed might be a benefit for those activities. Plain surfing, email, etc. - no.

2. Read plan announcements: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Public-Mobile-Plans-The-less-we-spe...

It does not say anywhere it is limited time offer but I would double check with the agent. Crossed out old price might be just marketing gimmick to attract new costumers and real new price is $40 from 17th until who know when.

Be very careful when switching '17 year old: $35 - 3G plan with 3GB of data + 2GB for life of plan'. Read small and micro prints for his '2GB for life of plan'. He might lose 2GB since you will be switching plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.