cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you love to see PM offer in 2016?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

2016 is approaching fast. What do you think PM will offer in 2016?

I for one hope these:

more add-on data options, data rate-plans, 120 or 150 day term, better cs with txt support, more short codes added, some useful premium messaging services as long as fees are within reason and service has a purpose, contests, maybe a siren-app thing, eventual global roaming, public roaming as I would call it as the globe is our public playground, more self-serve options to start it off. What's your take?

8 REPLIES 8

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for starting this thread @makkahn28. Lots of interesting ideas for the new year. At some point, I think @Jeremy_M mentioned that PM is planning to unveil a new Public Lab in 2016 - I hope this comes through as I find the current one to be difficult to follow since we have had a increase in active users over the past couple months so lots of good ideas get buried in the current format.

So, for me, I'd like to see improvements to the forum generally - including some new categories and clear descriptions for each. More active community moderation to keep threads organised (maybe give moderation privileges to a few senior forum members?) would make a big difference for new users learning the forum culture (I've mentioned some this already here: Improved Structure for the Community Forum).

Beyond that, I'm all for more add-on options and plans as has been mentioned here and in the lab already. Personally, I'd like to see more benefits for multiple lines (i.e. data sharing, family plans, etc...).

Regarding self-serve, I'm with @Solid about showing us the total minutes/texts used in self-serve. Prior to the updated interface, it was available, so shouldn't be hard to bring it back.

hotcakes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As others have mentioned before, a mobile app for managing account/addons/plan. Though I wouldn't go full native... I'd be happy with a really well designed responsive website so it can work on any mobile platform. If Public wants the added exposure of the app stores, just use any of the web wrappers to build an app out of the mobile site. That way smaller platforms (like Windows Mobile) don't get left out.

I'd also like a post-paid option instead of only pre-paid. The reason for this has to do with roaming. I am in Ontario 99% of the time, but I do on occasion travel to Montreal for a day or two (around 4 days a year). It doesn't make sense for me to pay for the Canada-wide calling option for just 4 days, but if I choose province wide, I don't get any incoming calls. The workaround is to buy a block of long distance calling as an addon, but that's really not obvious. It would be so much easier if I could just get province-wide, and be charged afterwards if I use my phone in another province. Make things easy for the user!

I'd love to be able to have multiple phone lines under one account/admin. That way I can manage all my devices and plans from one place. They already have a dropdown for the account number, so I'm guessing this one is coming soon.

And finally, I'd like to see Public implement the UX changes in the redesigned account section I proposed a couple of weeks ago. I find it horribly confusing as is.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Solid,

Thank you for explaining.

With regard to being in a relationship and communicating with my GF, I used to have unlimited long-distance calling for $19.95 per month. I spent so much time calling that I should have had the phone surgically attached to my right ear. It would have lessened the strain of holding the phone for hours on end.

Cheers!

Solid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just for personal statistic collection. Back when I was with Fido, they gave this data (even though both were unlimited) and I saw some pretty funny trends in my own usage for calls and text. As an example, when I got into a relationship, both my text and call usage skyrocketed (I'm too embarrassed to give the exact number, but I have it in my past bill summaries!).

The information might not have any practical usage, but I think it's a nice stat to have. I imagine it wouldn't be too dificult to implement as usage history tracks the duration of each individual call and text, so it would just be a summation of that.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Solid,

Until your reply, I WAS under the impression that Add-on Usage had been changed in order to show the total usage of all options, and not just data.

I would have checked my self-serve account to verify the above, but I have been unable to access it for a few weeks, hence my mistaken belief that Add-on Usage had changed.

I'm curious about something: Unlike data which is metered, calling minutes and number of texts are not. Since they are unlimited, why would you want to know the number/amount involved per cycle?

Solid

For add-on usage it only shows data usage for me. Is it supposed to show the total number of texts and total minutes for calls too? I am still on my first cycle (90 days) so if it is supposed to show, maybe that is the reason why I do not see it.

Unless you were responding to my first suggestion, where I meant a mobile app that also has the same functionality as the webpage (data usage), but just in a mobile firendly format.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @Solid,

Unless Add-on Usage has been changed, you can view your usage per option to date, per cycle.

FYI.

Solid

A mobile app would be nice, to track (data) usage and all. Using their website on mobile isn't the best experience and Android's built in data tracker only does month by month rather than 3 months so being able to check could really be nice. Usage history for the service could also be nicer. Right now it shows every single call and duration and the texts sent. A total would probably be more useful (total number of minutes, number of texts). It's an interesting stat to have.

And of course, more plan options are always welcome. Something (some) Amercians carriers do but Canandian do not is data roll over. I think it would be really nice to have extra data move to the next billing cycle (a la Tmobile). Or a Google Fi like data uage where extra unsued data is refunded as credit towards the next billing period. So then I could spend a little more upfront, but not worry about overpaying for unused data.

Need Help? Let's chat.