cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed limit on 3G plans

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Hi everyone,

I thought the community might be interested in getting a definitive answer on this topic, so I traced one of my LTE data calls.

Based on the Aggregate Maximum Bit Rate (AMBR) value provided by the Telus core network, the speed is limited to 3.008 Mbps, in both directions (DL and UL).

Usually AMBR enforcement by the PDN Gateway (PGW) is not instant, so it's possible to ramp up beyond that number momentarily, which may skew speed tests.

IMG-20190323-WA0006.jpg

15 REPLIES 15

MrYeuk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks all - don’t worry, I have my eye on usage. Am checking my account and using my phone as well to track.

my main concern is getting clarification around when the throttling will kick in (so I can determine whether the speed will suit my needs). Then I can port my # from Fido.

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I made this mistake when I first joined. 1/2 my 90 days worth of data gone in minutes. 

3G VS LTE is a non issue when you have no data. Lol

@sheytoon wrote:

You can use up a gigabyte on a single speed test...Screenshot_20190214-202539.jpg

More is even possible if the connection is faster because of the way Speedtest.net uses more data when conditions are even more optimal.

My comment was assuming a result of about 300Mbps. The point is obviously, as srlawren was also saying, for new customers not to be do this speed testing stuff unless they fully realize how much data can be used.

You can use up a gigabyte on a single speed test...Screenshot_20190214-202539.jpg

@srlawren wrote:

@MrYeuk wrote:

Just signed up.  Got $40 for 4.5gb +500mb plan.  I'm noticing LTE speeds are incredibly fast.  I've heard there is a lag time before the throttle kicks in (after a new activation).

Does anyone know how long until I can experience the throttled speeds?  Wanting to know what it's like before I port my number.

@MrYeuk it can take up to 72 hours.  Try not to do too many speed tests in the mean time, as you can very quickly eat up a LOT of your data by doing speed tests, particularly at full un-throttled speeds.

MrYeuk, I know that people like to know how fast the speed is, but when you think about it, this is usage that you won't be able to use later on.    If you're thinking it doesn't matter because you won't use up all your data anyways, it's possible that you could end up saving money by being on a less expensive plan. 

If your phone is LTE-Advanced/LTE+ capable and you're testing during the unthrottled period, it's not that unthinkable that you could use 10% of your 5GB data allotment in one instance of Speedtest.net.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MrYeuk wrote:

Just signed up.  Got $40 for 4.5gb +500mb plan.  I'm noticing LTE speeds are incredibly fast.  I've heard there is a lag time before the throttle kicks in (after a new activation).

Does anyone know how long until I can experience the throttled speeds?  Wanting to know what it's like before I port my number.

@MrYeuk it can take up to 72 hours.  Try not to do too many speed tests in the mean time, as you can very quickly eat up a LOT of your data by doing speed tests, particularly at full un-throttled speeds.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

MrYeuk

nigmea

Testing my speed on my phone is 1.68Mbps haha 😞

Samsung Galaxy S9+

40 dollar 4GB at 3G speed

Sheytoon, you are right.  There is no throttle on 3g network. I get a lot faster than 3Mbps in that network.  LTE only gives me 3Mbps on my plan.

@mik101 wrote:

Any chance you did any of the same tests on the 3g in your area? Just curious if results are similar in various locations across the country for 3g speeds.

I don't believe there's any throttling on 3G. So the peak speeds would be approximately 17 Mbps for single carrier HSPA+ (advertised as "up to 21 Mbps"), and approximately 35 Mbps for dual carrier or DC-HSPA+ (advertised as "up to 42 Mbps"). Depending on which market you are in, Band 2 (1900 MHz) may be single carrier or DC. Band 5 (850 MHz) is always single carrier. Peak speeds for UL would be around 5 Mbps.

Avantages of LTE are better performance at cell edge (LTE will outperform 3G when they are both in weak signal conditions), and much better UL performance. Just something to keep in mind if you find yourself in an area with unusable 3G.

mik101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks sheytoon. That's exactly what I figured was going on there. Any chance you did any of the same tests on the 3g in your area? Just curious if results are similar in various locations across the country for 3g speeds. I usually just have LTE turned off in the network settings for the battery savings anyway.

@NDesai, so true! 🤣

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It's just funny that we are the ones who reported throttling, and that gave them an idea to offer plans with throttled speed Smiley Frustrated

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Is-Public-Mobile-s-LTE-throttled-vs-Telus...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Update-on-Public-Mobile-throttling/m-p/14...

Correct. Telus will not spend development effort on their 3G network, so such implementations will be done strictly on LTE.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

This only aoplies when connected to the LTE network.  Speeds on the 3g network and 3g plans aren't like this.

Need Help? Let's chat.