cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I text or call a local number while they're out of the country, will I get charged?

aali1221
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I text or call a local number while they're out of the country, will I get charged?

15 REPLIES 15

@geogolem wrote:

I though of a more clear way to explain this ... or a way to clarify the existing explanation. I will edit my response later today..

One issue that can alleviate confusion regarding long distance and its associated charges is to clarify that just because one is not charged long distance charges for a call doesnt mean its not considered long distance.

For example, if you have a province wide plan. You are in Toronto and call London. You will receive a message warning you, "long distance charges may apply".. Anytime you receive this message, that means that call is considered long distance. Whether or not you are actually charged for the long distance call depends on your plan. In this case, if you have a province wide or Canada wide plan you will in fact not be charged for this call because these type of calls are covered by your plan; however, the call is still considered long distance.

The Public Mobile long distance add-on is intended to augment your plan. In other words the add-ons minutes will be used to cover long distance calls that are not covered by your plan.

Back in the day, the message "long distance charges may apply" used to be a recording stating "this is a long distance call, hang up the phone and dial 1 before the area code" but nowadays they just patch you through after giving you the warning. To avoid the warning you can always precede the call with a +1.  

This is still not entirely correct.  I have 10-digit dial local calls for at least 15 years now, as overlaying area codes forced this to happen when the old 519 became 519 and 226.  There is also going to be a third area code in the coming months, if it isn't already here.

last month I direct dialled a local 226 number from my 226 number.  Both for the same City in Southern Ontario.  I'm on a provincial plan, and the message I received was along the lines of this is a long distance call, please hang up and place your call using 1 and the area code.  IT WAS NOT AUTOCONNECTED.  I required the assistance of Shazia to get this error resolved, and it works fine now.  However, my point is, that auto connect isn't always available, and it isn't always a long distance call when you hear the message.

I've been working on updating my contact list to include +1XXX when I know the call is a geographical long distance call, and I usually don't here these messages.  Entering on the 10-digit for all regularly contacted people located locally, I rarely heard the messages.

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I though of a more clear way to explain this ... or a way to clarify the existing explanation. I will edit my response later today..

One issue that can alleviate confusion regarding long distance and its associated charges is to clarify that just because one is not charged long distance charges for a call doesnt mean its not considered long distance.

For example, if you have a province wide plan. You are in Toronto and call London. You will receive a message warning you, "long distance charges may apply".. Anytime you receive this message, that means that call is considered long distance. Whether or not you are actually charged for the long distance call depends on your plan. In this case, if you have a province wide or Canada wide plan you will in fact not be charged for this call because these type of calls are covered by your plan; however, the call is still considered long distance.

The Public Mobile long distance add-on is intended to augment your plan. In other words the add-ons minutes will be used to cover long distance calls that are not covered by your plan.

Back in the day, the message "long distance charges may apply" used to be a recording stating "this is a long distance call, hang up the phone and dial 1 before the area code" but nowadays they just patch you through after giving you the warning. To avoid the warning you can always precede the call with a +1.  

bryan35

Thanks for the replies.I'll be getting the long distance add on but good to know what will be counted as long distance.

geogolem

@bryan35 : as @Luddite states your understanding is correct. 

Keep in mind also, that although all incoming calls would be considered long distance calls, if you are on a Canada-Wide plan you wont have to worry about it. If you are on province wide plan you will not be able to receive those calls unless you have the long distance add on. Those incoming calls will then exhuast the minutes in that add on.

@bryan35 your understanding is correct. While in Alberta, all local calls you make are free, but if someone calls you, long distance is charged (because you're out of Manitoba).

A suggestion... ask people to text you first (free) and then you phone them back (free again). That way if you do add the LD Add-On it won't be exhausted as quickly.

bryan35

Province Wide plan --> You can receive calls from anywhere while you are in your home province but will exhuast long distance add on minutes if you receive calls while outside your home province (and sitll in Canada). You can call anywhere in the province in which you are physicall located but calls to other provinces or the U.S. will exhuast long distance minutes.

My phone number is a Manitoba one. If in Alberta I can call Alberta numbers and no long distance is charged/required?

All incoming calls are long distance?

Ionut

@daredogg www.freephoneline.ca  this is the website which i've been talking in the previous post about unlimit call. If you have already a voip adapter and so one. You pay 80$ and you have it for life 🙂

geogolem

I personally use Google Hangouts Dialier to make calls to the US or to another province (since I am on a province wide plan). It seems to work without issue. Apparently Skype, Fongo or freephoneline are also good choices. 

Thanks @Luddite for shining the spotlight on the LD Add-On!  I didn't even realize that was an option (only because I wasn't thinking long distance when I signed up with PM). I have some relatives in China and UK right now, so it might be nice to phone them instead of using a crappy wifi video feed.

@daredogg To make long distance calls with PM purchase the LD Add-on $15 for 400 minutes. You can call to anywhere in Canada, USA and 

• China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Italy
  • South Korea
  • Malaysia
  • Mexico
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Puerto Rico
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales)
  • Venezuela

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ionut

@daredogg i used to have the skype service on my voip cuz i paid around 1$ / month but somehow their services start acting weird and i had drop calls. So i switched to VOIP0 at 6$ i have unlimited in USA and Canada and i think i pay another 5 6$ for an add on of 200-500  international calls.

@Ionut what service did you go with? I was with Vonage for a long time, but switched to Ooma, as it only costs me $4.50 per month w/ the basic plan.

Ionut
Or do as i dis. I bought a VOIP adapter 80$ and a 20$ cordless phone. 50 $ activation fees and i have unlimited call whole NA for life as soon as i have internet

Looks good @geogolem, I think you covered it all.

So, if you're wanting to make international calls, you can't use PM for that. But, I suppose you could use a calling card dialing a local number. I think @Luddite mentioned downloading Fongo onto your phone and it'll use wifi to make the call. The rates seem affordable and you don't have to run out trying to find a phone card or worry about how much money is left.

geogolem

You will never get charged long distance when you call a local number.

There seems to be alot of consfusion regarding long distance and cell phones etc. I'll try to clarify in general so that all cases can be understood.

First -> one's ability to make calls and how they are charged is only effected by (a) their plan/arrangement with their service provider (b) their physical location (b) the number they are calling (i.e. the region associated with the number and not necessarily the physical location of the phone). It has absolutely nothing to do with the plan/arrangement the person they are calling has with their service provider or the actual physical location of the person they are calling.

Second -> one's ability to receive calls and how such calls are charged is only effected by (a) their plan/arrangement with their service provider (b) their physical location. It has absolutely nothing to do with who is calling them or where that person might be located.

---------------------------------------------

How is locality handled/determined when making phone calls

A person's phone number is fixed and does not change with their location. When you call a number all that matters is if the number is local to you. It does not matter if the person is standing right next to you, or if they are on the other side of the world. If the number you are calling is local to you, you will not require long distance to make the call.

The sphere of numbers that are local to a person changes with their location and has nothing to do with the location associated with their fixed phone number. So, if I am in Toronto, Toronto numbers will be local to me and Montreal numbers will not. If I am in Montreal, Montreal numbers will be local to me and Toronto numbers will not. This will be the case whether I have a Toronto number, a Montreal number or a Vancouver number. My sphere of local numbers I can call has everything to do with where I am physically located and nothing to do with my fixed phone number.

------------------------------

What about receiving phone calls?

If you are in your home area - i.e. the area associated with your fixed phone number. All incoming calls will be considered local; however, if you are in a region that is not the region associated with your fixed phone number you will incur long distance charges on incoming calls. These long distance charges have nothing to do with who is calling you but will correspond with the distance between where you are and the region which is associated with your fixed phone number.

For example, if you have a Toronto number and are physically in Montreal any incoming call will incur the long distance charges associated with a call between Montreal and Toronto regardless of where the call is originating.

-------------------

Hopefully you can see, long distance charges have everything to do with your choices and cannot be decided by someone calling you. You decide to incur long distance charges when you make the phone call. Are you calling a number local to your current position? You decide to incur long distance charges when you answer a phone call. Are you in the local calling area corresponding to your fixed phone number? 

-------------------

Having said all that hopefully its pretty clear how long distance is generally determined with cell phones in the mix. 

Fortunately things these days are much simpler (with Canada-wide and provide wide plans), especially with Public Mobile because it is a prepaid service.

Since Public Mobile is a prepaid service there are no long distance charges. One must instead purchase an add on. I believe it is 8$ for 200 minutes.

First, if you have a Canada-wide plan -> you can make or receive calls to anywhere in Canada from anywhere in Canada.

If you have a Canada-Wide and U.S. talk plan --> you can make calls anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada or the U.S.

Province Wide plan --> You can receive calls from anywhere while you are in your home province but will exhuast long distance add on minutes if you receive calls while outside your home province (and sitll in Canada). You can call anywhere in the province in which you are physicall located but calls to other provinces or the U.S. will exhuast long distance minutes.

Currently there is no way to make calls while outside Canada regardless of your plan; however, a U.S. roaming add on will be available soon. The details still have yet to be announced.

If anybody sees anything wrong with this post please correct/clarify.

EDIT: Just thought I would add another point to clarify things. Whether or not a call is considered "long distance" has nothing to do with your plan but rather is still based on the old phone model that has been use for a long time. Your plan then determines if you are charged for the call. For example, if you are in Toronto and call a London number. This is considered a long distance call. A province wide plan would cover this call and so although it is a long distance call, you will not require a long distance add on to make this call because this type of long distance is included in your plan.

A call is considered long distance if when you make the call (without a preceding 1 before the area code) you receive a message indicating that long distance charges *may* apply. Your plan then determines whether the charges actually apply or not.  

Need Help? Let's chat.