cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating Sim and porting number

Cinjin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How long does it sit on the screen for registering your sim for ?

It says "please wait while your activation is being processed"

It's been sitting on that screen for 20 minutes just spinning.

18 REPLIES 18

astronaut

I got the Generic Error today at the very last step too, but was not charged.  I went throught the entire registration process again and then it worked fine.

Cinjin

So just in case anyone else has the same issue.

ISSUE: Activate simcard and it gets all the way to the end after processing payment and hangs or errors out. Try to activate simcard again and it says "Invalid Simcard"

SOLUTION: Most likely the simcard is working and your CC is charged. Put the sim in the phone, find out what the temporary phone number is. Manually create your account using that phone number. Then either use the phone number or port over your existing one.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with the situation i had.

Cinjin

Update: ok i got it sorted myself, put the simcard in my phone, got the temporary number and setup my account manually. So everything is now working and i just need to port my old number

Cinjin

It did get to the point of processing my cc and I do see a temp charge. I pmd the mods and hopefully they can fix it for me. 

@Cinjin wrote:

The bell phone number ported to my second simcard and everything is working on that phone. Now I am trying to activate a second account with the first sim that got an error.

It's good to hear that the number that you were trying to port in did so properly. As said before, make sure your inoming calls works. Being able to make an outgoing call does not mean that your number transfer has completed.

Some of the time, the activation system will mark a sim card as already used even though the activation never completed properly.  It looks like that's what happened here.

if you never got to point of entering any payment information, I would just forget about that first sim card that the activation server isn't accepting and just buy a new one.   I would then ask for a $10 credit of the sim card costs.

If you did get to the point of entering credit card or other payment information, it's possible that the activation system charged you for a month of service (or even enabled pre-authorized payments). If that was done, you would need to contact the moderators to get a refund.  And, if you need to go through all that, I would suggest that you may as well have the moderators fix it so that sim card works.

Cinjin

The bell phone number ported to my second simcard and everything is working on that phone. Now I am trying to activate a second account with the first sim that got an error.

@Cinjin wrote:

Ok first account is done and number ported. Unfortunately my first simcard still says invalid when I tried to activate it. It's been a couple of hours now since I tried again. Do I have to wait longer or do I need a mods help ?

You need to a moderator to help, especially if your number did port to your first Public Mobile sim card that never activated.  No amount of waiting is going to make a sim card become valid.   You'll have to get them finish the activation for the first sim card.  How do you know that your first number has been ported? If that sim card isn't working, you would not have received the text message that tells you that everything is done, and you would not be able to test things out to see if incoming calls work.

Cinjin

Ok first account is done and number ported. Unfortunately my first simcard still says invalid when I tried to activate it. It's been a couple of hours now since I tried again. Do I have to wait longer or do I need a mods help ?

Cinjin

I only have 1 account.

@Cinjin wrote:

Ok I used my second simcard and used Firefox and that worked (hopefully the other simcard activation times out). I chose a new number so now I am porting a number from Bell. When I first did it it gave me the thinking icon and then stopped. Now it's says the number is not eligible so hopefully that means the porting is in process.

Number not eligible should mean that nothing was done number porting-wise.

Likely, I believe the reason for it saying not eligble is becaus there may already be an open request for that phone number.  I'm willing to wager that the number is process of be ported to your first Public Mobile account, even if the activation never completed properly. 

Cinjin

Ok I used my second simcard and used Firefox and that worked (hopefully the other simcard activation times out). I chose a new number so now I am porting a number from Bell. When I first did it it gave me the thinking icon and then stopped. Now it's says the number is not eligible so hopefully that means the porting is in process.

Cinjin

I tried in IE, Firefox and Chrome and I get invalid sim.

jbassil

I tried using chrome at least 4 or 5 times and it would just spin for 10-15+ min on any given step and finally throw a "Generic Error" at the end of it. I switched to Firefox and it worked on the first attempt. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cinjin wrote:

I tried a second time, got generic error. Can't login to account. Now on the 3rd attempt it says invalid sim.

Clear cache/cookies and/or try another browser and/or incognito/private mode in about an hour and try again.

Cinjin

I tried a second time, got generic error. Can't login to account. Now on the 3rd attempt it says invalid sim.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cinjin wrote:

Activate a new account.

Ok. In another tab of your browser like you did to get to here....see if you can log into the account you created.

Not the same tab as the spinning wheel.

Right click on My Account in the upper right of this window and open it to a new tab.

Cinjin

Activate a new account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cinjin wrote:

How long does it sit on the screen for registering your sim for ?

It says "please wait while your activation is being processed"

It's been sitting on that screen for 20 minutes just spinning.

Do you mean from Change SIM? Or activation start up?

Need Help? Let's chat.