cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oracle

Re: Upcoming Help Changes + Feedback

@6500K wrote:

I also thought of a "cool" feature if it can be implemented (pun intended).  Not sure if it is opening a can of worms but ... here it goes.

A live voice chat feature in which if a community member is available at the time to answer a voice chat then the system can broker this and connect the new customer to a live member of this community for help.  I found that talking for one minute may be more effective than reading many many pages of solutions in threads.  If implemented well, this would be the first site to have a community driven voice help system that I have ever seen (or heard - pun).

A corollary to this would be to have voice recordings (or even short instructional videos), that provide help for the most common problems that arise in our community.  I would volunteer my voice but it is not the most suitable for something like this in my opinion.  Wouldn't it be cool if someone could do an imitation of Darth Vader to help with activation problems?  That would be the bomb!

This may have been tabled already by someone, but I thought it would be appropriate in this thread.  

@6500K

Not to be disagreeable, but I see problems with the chat idea.

First, in a chat, no other members can see/hear what is discussed, what instructions have been provided, what has been attempted. If any incorrect or inaccurate information is given, there is no chance for the rest of the community to provide corrections or additional insight as it happens.  Compare this to a thread, where there is a written record of everything for all to see. If the issue remains unresolved and the customer needs to chat again, possibly with a different member, the discussion has to waste time starting from scratch, because the community has not seen/heard any of the previous chat.

Then, how would the connection be made? Through a voice channel or chat box on the community?  If so, this requires significant development to implement, which I'm not sure is the best use of PM resources when we already have a forum.  On the other hand, if this simply connects the helper to the customer using their phone lines, then there are privacy issues for both participants. Do you want to be giving out your name/phone number to a stranger? Should helpers be given a customer's name/phone number?

Finally, I'm sure there will be customers who mistakenly believe that the member they're being connected with is an employee, or somehow has access to accounts. Because that's what customers have come to expect when interacting through chat on a company website these days. We can put warnings and disclaimers, but you know there will be inevitably be some who ignore/miss the warnings. This can become problematic when the customer starts disclosing personal information, or complains that the "rep" didn't/couldn't resolve their issue, and leaves as an unsatisfied customer.

Your other suggestion to do voice recordings can be more effectively covered with articles added to the knowledge base area if the issue isn't covered there already.  Video recordings added to the knowledge base might be useful however.  If you mean to have the voice recordings returned as answers to searches/queries, this would actually be similar to the already existing Simon Bot (accessible by clicking the orange question mark in the corner), except the answers would be in voice form.  The answers returned can only be as good as the programming that determines which answers to give.

Mayor / Maire

@RobertQc

I think you missed your calling in life*...you oughta be a friggin' comedy writer! I was laughing the whole way through.

*assuming you're not already Smiley Happy

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Alright alright I get it.  It was an attempt to think outside the box, but I understand.  I did work in a call centre once and I suppose many of the standards there would be difficult to implement here.  I used to specialize in problem clients and I didn't mind helping them.  I don't think it is for everyone.  

If it caught traction, I was going to suggest restricting the voice help to only certain members of the community and that quality control could be implemented by recording calls and assessing them.  Yeah maybe this is too ambitious.

@6500K wrote:

If it caught traction, I was going to suggest restricting the voice help to only certain members of the community and that quality control could be implemented by recording calls and assessing them.  Yeah maybe this is too ambitious.

Who'd be actually willing to do this when not working for the company? First off would be privacy concerns. There's also the issue that the person has to be online at the exact moment instead of just answering a message thread at his/her convenience.  The community rewards wouldn't even come close to being able to compensate people to do this.    I realize that you were just trying to come up with some ideas.

This would only work with talking to employees of Publc Mobile.  Even this, this would be compltely opposite to the the message forum concept of support that they currently have.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@6500K wrote:

Who'd be actually willing to do this when not working for the company? First off would be privacy concerns. There's also the issue that the person has to be online at the exact moment instead of just answering a message thread at his/her convenience.  The community rewards wouldn't even come close to being able to compensate people to do this.    I know - it was just an idea.

Yeah sounds crazy but I would help even if there wasn't any reward.  I know it may be very foreign to many but that's what I like doing.  Anyhow, it's been fairly enlightening for me so far.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This will be interesting to see how this potential new help page makes a difference for the community.  I'm not completely sure how I feel about this until it's actually in play I guess.  The leaderboard for me doesn't change how I contribute to the forum, although I do look at it occasionally.